The Best Noise Cancelling Headphones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Noise Cancelling Headphones

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2005, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do enjoy my QC2s. I generally don't like things -in- my ears and they sound at least as good as my Sony NC10s.

I've ordered a set of Shure E3s to use while jogging since neither the Bose nor the NC10s are exactly fashion statements.

I love music, but I was not blessed with an audiophiles ears. ms. birdstrike has expensive electrostatic speakers in the living room, but personally I can't distinguish their sound quality from the Bose

I envy you folks who can tell hundred dollar headsets from thousand dollar ones! @:-)
Old Aug 11, 2005, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold
Amazon has a pretty good sale going on right now for Shure. I would jump all over those for great sound blocking, great sound and convenience. Plus they're cheaper than the Bose. The Shure E2C's are very good. The E3C's offer more performance and a bit niftier ear phone for a little bit more $.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 10:12 am

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I have read comparisons b/w Shures and Etymotic. Most say the comfort depends on personal preference.

Can anyone suggest somewhere I can go to try both of these to decide which ones fit better in my ears?
Old Aug 12, 2005, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alect
I have read comparisons b/w Shures and Etymotic. Most say the comfort depends on personal preference.

Can anyone suggest somewhere I can go to try both of these to decide which ones fit better in my ears?
Hygienically speaking - will a store let you put earphones into your ears (or would you want to not knowing "where they've been")? Probably pretty easy to buy both and return one if you have to test 'em ...

BTW - The Shure "fit kit" offers plenty of options, sizes, soft/hard rubber, foam, etc.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread cost me money

I ordered Shure E3Cs. The E4C was a bit pricey and I'm not sure I'd know the difference.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: Skyteam, Starwood, DMV Point Program
FWIW, I've been very happy with my Sony NC20's, and have had a few chances to compare them with the Bose QC2s. Would still pick the Sony. I like the Shure product, too, but have a hard time standing something stuffed in my ear for long periods of time. They're useful for my daily commute (15-20 min) on the train, but my Sony's get the nod on a flight.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EC3s arrived today. My initial reaction is that the sound reproduction is wonderful, but they seem a bit "bright". More testing is in order.
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Delta, Qantas, Hyatt, Hilton
Thanks for the advice on the board. I went with a pair of Shure EC-5's. They were on sale at amazon.com so how could I resist. The biggest thing for me in deciding to go with them was how often I'd use them. If I went with the Bose it would definately only be on an airplane. With the Shure's I can use them all the time. I also would not look like a moron with a set a huge headphones on. I suppose being a mimimalist has something to do with the decision.

Kampai,
Klaxon
Old Aug 13, 2005, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what about headphones that are light and good but not extremely expensive, and that don't block out all sound? Any recommendations? For use where you need to hear some outside sounds...

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by richard
what about headphones that are light and good but not extremely expensive, and that don't block out all sound? Any recommendations? For use where you need to hear some outside sounds...

Thanks
Bang & Olufsen A8's are earphones with over the ear clips that are stylish, very light and produce a great sound. Mind you, hardcore "audiophiles" believe that its overpriced but I love them, especially for exercise. More info here: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/headp...x.aspx#reviews
Old Aug 15, 2005, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, WOH, Bonvoy
I have been a fan of the QC2's for almost 2 years now. But then, prompted by this board, I bought a set of E4c's.

Bought them from plasmabuy.com for ~$179.

After a couple days of use, I am now won over by the Shure product. Not as bulky, much better on blocking out the ambient sounds, and the music is awesome!

i originally though it would be weird using canalphones, but they are comfortable.
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:47 am

To have fun with canalphones, try listening to some binaural recordings. I've just picked up a set of binaural mics and am doing some recordings with my minidisc player. The 360 degree soundstage is thrilling. Some examples from the web:

http://www.mindtel.com/projects/skyc...al.short.form/

even better: http://www.quietamerican.org/field_vietnam.html

Listen in a quiet room and close your eyes.
Old Aug 19, 2005, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love my new Shure E3Cs. Fabulous and incredibly noise cancelling. Very comfortable with the stock covers although they come with a little baggie full of other types of covers and doodads...
Old Aug 25, 2005, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richard
I love my new Shure E3Cs. Fabulous and incredibly noise cancelling. Very comfortable with the stock covers although they come with a little baggie full of other types of covers and doodads...
I just received the Shure triple flange canal covers in the mail. YMMV, but they are abolutely great. I now feel like I'm getting everything out of the E3Cs that they can give ^
Old Aug 26, 2005, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by birdstrike
I just received the Shure triple flange canal covers in the mail. YMMV, but they are abolutely great. I now feel like I'm getting everything out of the E3Cs that they can give ^
I don't get those triple-flange covers. birdstrike, did you have cut part of the 'stalk'? I just can't see how anything more than the extreme tip of the flange fits in your ear. And when I try it, it looks and feels silly, almost like the whole thing is ready to fall out. I must be doing something wrong...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.