Search

PDA Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 1:35 am
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
PDA Suggestions

I have finally decided it is time to ditch my old Palm IIIxe and move into the current melenium. It locked up on my this week and needed a full reset with loss of all data. And because it is such a painful process to sychronise with my laptop (USB Serial adapter always comes up as different COM port and the old Palm Hotsynch software won't recognise the higher numbered COM ports) I lost my last month or so changes.

I use it mainly as a diary, and in that roll it is very important to me. Especially the alarm feature since I tend to have a lot of meeting and conference calls scheduled for all strange hours of the day and night - ahh the pleasure of living in paradise and working as part of a global team .

I would really prefer a higher resolution colour screen, and the ability to carry and view some picture. A built-in camera is not important to me. MP3 player would be handy, but not essential.

I would prefer a reliable and fast synchronisation method - such as USB or WiFi. I have WiFi at home so the ability to sync and even surf via WiFi would be good, but not essential.

I am comfortable with the Palm Graffiti, but happy to move to other input methods. I am not stuck on Palm and and certainly happy to investigate other options.

I also use my Palm IIIxe for travel-related tasks such as keeping a track of bookings and flight/reservation details with TravelPal application. Oh yes, and I can often be found playing solitaire on flights .

Any suggestions on what current model PDA's I should be considering would be appreciated. I am in Australia, so the integrated phone/PDA options are very limited.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:48 am

Todays' PDA's run from $99 to $700 USD. Do you have a budget in mind?
Old Feb 6, 2005, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I would advise what I advise anyone looking for a new PDA at the moment. Look at the Dell Axim line of devices. Nothing from Palm or HP or any other major manufacturer even gets close to their deals.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I have an O2 XDAII which is available in Oz. Even though it is over a year old, I am still very happy with it. I have a 512MB SD card that I use for MP3's. I agree with Sean in that the Axims are a lot of bang for the buck. If I were buying right now, that's the direction I would go.

For application, you will definitely want:

spb Time - great clock and alarm program. If in the charging cradle, it goes to a clock screensaver function that is handy. Also includes worldtime functions.

City Time - great multi time zone function that includes today plug-in .
Old Feb 6, 2005, 4:00 pm
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by businesstraveler
Todays' PDA's run from $99 to $700 USD. Do you have a budget in mind?
I don't have a fi9nal budget in mind. I am willing to pay what I believe to be value for money. So if I can get what I want for under $100, then great (my Palm IIIxe cam from eBay for less than that and has been faithful for a few years), but if I can get something better for US$700 then I will pay that much.

In Australia, a device that fits the category of "Portable Computing Device" (ie a PDA up to a laptop) can be purhased by an employer for their staff without incuring any Fringe Benefits Tax. Consequently many employers, including mine, offer a salary sacrifice for such devices. With our marginal tax rate of almost 50%, it will only cost me half the price paid, and I can sacrifice it over a period of up to 12 months - so I am less sentitive to cost as I would be if paying fully out of my own pocket.

Of course I pay for it on my Amex card, earn 1.5 points for A$ towards my Qantas FF account, and then my employer reimburses me the whole amount, less the sacrifice amount deducted from each pay for the period over which I choose to sacrifice it. Its quite a good deal for a maximum of one device per year.
Old Feb 6, 2005, 5:28 pm
NM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
Personally I would advise what I advise anyone looking for a new PDA at the moment. Look at the Dell Axim line of devices. Nothing from Palm or HP or any other major manufacturer even gets close to their deals.
Hmm, just had a browse of the Dell Australian web site. They do look like good value. The prices from Dell Australia seem considerably more than form Dell USA:

X30 (312MHz) A$359 (US$270), Dell USA = US$199
X50 (416MHz) A$549 (US$412), Dell USA = US$269
X50 (520MHz) A$649 (US$487), Dell USA = US$359
X50v (624MHz) A$849 (US$637), Dell USA = US$449

These seem to be the only models available from Dell Australia. The last two come with WiFi. The X30 WiFi models do not seem to be available in Australia. These prices include tax and delivery, and currently including free case and headphones. Don't need the headphones since I have my Shure E3's, but they will be appreciated by Mini-NM#1.

Would you pay the extra for the X50v 624MHz? Main difference is the higher resolution screen (480x640). Due to the purchasing options mentioned in my previous post, I can afford to spend A$849, but don't want to be wasting money I don't need to spend.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Personally I try to avoid microsoft CE products as I am happy with Palm OS.

If your budget is low, I would go with the Palm Tungsten E @ $199 from most US retailers (less frequent $20 rebates)

If your budget is higher, you might consider the Palm Tungsten with WiFi that goes for $399.

I know a number of people who are happy with their Treo devices, but there is no reason to pay extra for a phone if it doesn't work in Australia.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:27 am

Programs: UA General Member
I have an Axim X30i with wifi & BT and am very happy with it. I agree with Scott's assessment that Dell currently has the best feature set for the money.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:00 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Spg Gold, HH Gold, AZ Freccia Alata, Hertz Club Gold
I have just buy a new Pda: HP rx3715

It's very good.

Here is a good camera of 1,3 M Pixel integrated and it works good.

Is perfect for multimedia ( Mp3, Video ) and very easy to use

The price is 499 Euro ( you can easly find it at 450 + Shipping ).

Dell is less expensive than Hp, of course.

But a few Euro for Hp, for me are the just choise.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:06 pm

I have been faithfully lurking on FT for about six months now. I have been waiting for a chance to give back, but as a someone who does not travel nearly enough (1-2x/year for business and 1-3x/year for pleasure) I really just sit and learn. BTW: Thank you all.

Now PDA's is another subject all together. I have noticed that FT is very Pocket PC friendly. Honestly I really enjoy the Palm OS. I am biased -- I have owned five Palm OS products and counting. Currently I have the Tungsten T3 (purchased for 200 US) which with an optional WiFi card and bluetooth enabled phone has been great for travel. Also, there is nothing like pulling out your PDA and watching last nights Scrubs to get the guy next to you asking questions. I know you can watch a DVD on your labtop, but something about the "I can" factor that is different.

Of course, the most important thing is what is best for you. I would lurk over at some PDA forums. I highly recommend www.brighthand.com which has great Pocket PC and Palm OS forums. Very friendly group much like here at FT.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Personally I try to avoid microsoft CE products as I am happy with Palm OS.

If your budget is low, I would go with the Palm Tungsten E @ $199 from most US retailers (less frequent $20 rebates)

If your budget is higher, you might consider the Palm Tungsten with WiFi that goes for $399.

I know a number of people who are happy with their Treo devices, but there is no reason to pay extra for a phone if it doesn't work in Australia.
LOL... "Windows CE" hasn't existed for 3 years now.

The current range of PocketPC's are IMHO far superior to the PalmOS, in every possible way. Why anyone would spend $399 for a Tungsten when you can get a Dell for $20 less is beyond me. I guess it is all a matter of personal taste...
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:16 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
Originally Posted by Boraxo
I have just had my Nokia 6310i surgically removed and a Treo 600 put in its place. Still in the early stages, but it seems to work very well.

Hot deals on Treo 600s (GSM 850/900/1800/1900) in Oz - A$699 including travel bundle (unlocked). Must be due to the arrival of the 650, which only really adds bluetooth, video and that's about it. Oh and RRP of A$1099 (RRP Treo 600 A$799).

I now travel with 1 device...

PS buy me a beer at a QP near you and give it a test drive...
Old Feb 7, 2005, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by willyroo
I have just had my Nokia 6310i surgically removed and a Treo 600 put in its place. Still in the early stages, but it seems to work very well.

Hot deals on Treo 600s (GSM 850/900/1800/1900) in Oz - A$699 including travel bundle (unlocked). Must be due to the arrival of the 650, which only really adds bluetooth, video and that's about it. Oh and RRP of A$1099 (RRP Treo 600 A$799).

I now travel with 1 device...

PS buy me a beer at a QP near you and give it a test drive...
You forgot: a better display (the old one on the 600 was terrible), removable battery, EDGE, better keyboard and a more stable OS...

The 650 is a massive improvement...
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:01 pm

The current range of PocketPC's are IMHO far superior to the PalmOS, in every possible way. Why anyone would spend $399 for a Tungsten when you can get a Dell for $20 less is beyond me. I guess it is all a matter of personal taste...

I would still pick up a Tungsten for simplicity, ease of use and reliability. I do admit that that new line of Pocket PC's simply have better hardware and are definitely catching up to (if not already passed) Palm. Sad to say that my next upgrade may be to Mr. Gates.

ScotC, having read about your fondness for apple, I am surprised that you do not favor Palm for one simple reason........ Its not Windoze
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
LOL... "Windows CE" hasn't existed for 3 years now.
Whatever. They can change the name, but it's still the same crappy windows derived OS inside the box.

I'm sure Dell, HP and Compaq have many satisfied users. I was just expressing my preference for the Palm OS and the many freeware apps that are available for Palms. So I would have to agree with you - it is probably a matter of personal taste. ^

BTW, my Handspring Visor Deluxe is 4+ years old and still running great. I would love to upgrade to a newer unit with color, but see no urgent reason to drop another $200-500 until the price of WiFi service falls. And no way I would switch to a Dell to save $20 (unless they threw in cheap wi-fi, which would force me to re-evaluate) Unfortunately Palm has chosen to focus its development efforts on the Treo line instead of the Tungstens, so I may be eventually be forced to move to the other camp ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.