Wiki Posts
Search

PDA Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:28 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by NM
Thanks for all the comments. Willyroo, I might just have to take you up on the test drive offer later this month . But unfortunately, the Treo is considered to be primarily a phone and as such does not come under the "Portable Computing Device" classification that is required to obtain the exemption under the Friinge Benefits Tax ruling my company uses for the salary sacrifice employee benefit. The Treo is explicitly mentioned as being not acceptable for this policy. PalmOne, HP and Dell are all explicitly included in the policy.
The company I work for allows the Treo under the FBT exemption for mobile phones used primarily for business. Is this a possibility for you? In fact the classification of the Treo as a phone has led to a real uptake as people get one of these under the phone exemption and use the one annual portable computing device for a laptop or pocket pc for the spouse/kids etc.

edit: sorry just saw the purchase has already been made, very nice choice.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:08 am
pgalore

Free Tungsten E w/Ameritrade

Remember that you can get a free Tungsten E by opening an Ameritrade account w/5000. I did this last year, and got a free Tungsten C (they don't have that offer anymore unfortunately). I have been very happy with it. I don't use it to the maximum functionality, but it works very well for what I use it for (medical dictionaries, PDR, lab reference manuals). Much better than hauling medical textbooks with me whereever I go!

http://www.ameritrade.com/e/

Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:42 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by chad75
The company I work for allows the Treo under the FBT exemption for mobile phones used primarily for business. Is this a possibility for you? In fact the classification of the Treo as a phone has led to a real uptake as people get one of these under the phone exemption and use the one annual portable computing device for a laptop or pocket pc for the spouse/kids etc.
No, it was not a choice. They only offer the salary sacrifice on personal computing devices, not phone. The company has a large mobile phone deal with a major provider that includes phone handsets, SIMS and services. They can't easily separate the phone from the service so the company is still paying for the phone even if the employee choosed to remove the SIM and put it into their own phone. So they actually discourage employees from buying their own phones under the scheme, even though it would not attract any FBT liability.

However, we are running a trial of the Treo 600 in the USA for some of our US-based staff. But I think the chances of us seeing that anytime soon in Australia are very slim. We are again in contract negotiations following a tender for telco services and mobile phones are a key component of that contract, which is spearate to any US-based contracts we have.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:49 pm
csb

I have a question for those that have purchased newer Axim's.

I'm unsure whether to upgrade my pocket pc. I have an old Jornada 548 that pretty much does everything that I need it to: synch's the Outlook folders between my desktop and laptop, runs MS streets, is now wireless thanks to a CF card.

My one problem is that, while I can receive e-mails from my server, I can not send e-mails as my server requires authentication, and pocket outlook did not support it a couple of versions ago.

Do current versions of pocket pc support sending e-mail through authenticated servers? This would be the one thing that I might consider significant enought to justify and upgrade.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 4:59 pm
NM
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by pgalore
Remember that you can get a free Tungsten E by opening an Ameritrade account w/5000. I did this last year, and got a free Tungsten C (they don't have that offer anymore unfortunately). I have been very happy with it. I don't use it to the maximum functionality, but it works very well for what I use it for (medical dictionaries, PDR, lab reference manuals). Much better than hauling medical textbooks with me whereever I go!

http://www.ameritrade.com/e/
Unfortunately that offer is only available to US residents.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by chichow
I too am a Palm bigot. I still use a Tungsten T. Its small, nice battery life and does what I need it to do. For me, the size is small and I use it for timetable lookup, addresses, etc.

If I was to need Word, Input lots of text, Exchange, etc. I'd jump ship and go M$.

The HP is HUGE.

Palm is really falling behind. There is nothing in the palm world for me to upgrade too. If they had bluetooth and wi-fi in a small package, then I'd be right there. I hear that's not out for another 6-9 months min.

GadgetFreak: the treo90 was pretty dang small and had great battery life. No adjustments for you in terms of dealing with the size and battery life of the PocketPC world?
The Dell is maybe half an inch longer than the Treo 90, virtually the same width and maybe a quarter inch (if that) thicker than the Treo 90. I think that the width and depth are the greatest issues for pocketability. It just doesnt seem that much bigger than the Treo 90. The battery life isnt as good but it has the ability to carry and use extra batteries which is huge. Also, the Dell has built in WiFi and Bluetooth. Overall it is slightly larger than the Treo 90 but much, much more capable. I watched a movie on it last week and I was delighted with the performance. I still have not been able to do that with my Palm T5. I wont bother trying at this point.

HP made an even smaller Pocket PC, the 4300 series I think it was that while not having a keyboard looked even smaller than the Treo 90. I think you can still find them around if smallest size is the prime driver for anyone. One thing I am really noticing about the Dell when compared to the Palm is that in my opinion the Dell is now easier to use. That is a real shocker to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.