Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi at JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2004, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Wifi at JFK?

Was in T7 yesterday (RCC) and only network I could find was "JFKWifi" which was encrypted.

Where at JFK can I find wifi? If not a T7, I'd be interested in other terminals where you can get a signal landside.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Wingnut -
The Port Authority which runs the NY airports is either in the dark ages about this (from what I've heard, stating that there cannot be multiple wifi networks at the airports in the interest of safety and other logistical requirements) or in the process of setting up their network in order to financially capitalize on the service. Right now, according to the DL Crown Room agents, T-Mobile has tried to set up in their facility but has not been allowed in.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by monitor
Wingnut -
The Port Authority which runs the NY airports is either in the dark ages about this (from what I've heard, stating that there cannot be multiple wifi networks at the airports in the interest of safety and other logistical requirements) or in the process of setting up their network in order to financially capitalize on the service. Right now, according to the DL Crown Room agents, T-Mobile has tried to set up in their facility but has not been allowed in.
Thanks for the info. I had no problem with wifi at EWR...

I don't suppose any of our IT experts have managed to crack the WEP encryption for JFKwifi? A PM will get you a big drink...

Last edited by Wingnut; Jun 20, 2004 at 9:49 am
Old Jun 20, 2004, 9:55 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The British Airways Lounge has wireless access. It's sold in two hour increments and is GBP9.99 for two hours.

You don't have to be inside the lounge to use it - I can pick it up in the neighboring RCC sometimes - or, you could just sit in the hallway outside of the lounge and pick it up.
Old Jun 20, 2004, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm moving this to Travel Tech

--richard, moderator
Old Jun 21, 2004, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Cracking WEP is easy, but you would probably end up on an internal network that wouldn't get you to the Internet.

There is no techical or security issue with having multiple wifi networks in an airport as many airports have lots of them. Ideally you have one wifi network with multiple virtual access points for different companies. But increasingly the airport authority is asserting its rights and not letting airlines and others drop in their own wifi network. So the airlines end up paying the airport authority to use its network for their lounge customers. This idea will start rolling out across the world pretty soon.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
T-Mobile is available in both AA Admirals Clubs at $9.99/day. They're both outside security, so even if you're not a member, you might be able to sit on the floor outside and pick up a good signal.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 10:42 pm

How about using cell phone services like Sprint Vision?
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:53 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
JetBlue has offered complimentary WiFi in Terminal 6 since last November. It's only a quick walk from the United/BA terminal.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned this so far!
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
JetBlue has offered complimentary WiFi in Terminal 6 since last November. It's only a quick walk from the United/BA terminal.

I'm shocked no one has mentioned this so far!
Is it only available airside, or can you grab a signal outside of security?
Old Jul 22, 2004, 2:02 pm

Hi,
Terminals 8 and 9 (AA) have WiFi arrangements with Boingo (www.boingo.com). You can have a pay-as-you-go or monthly membership which I think is around $22/month as a special promo at this time. I use it pretty extensively and find it better than T-Mo since I'm not around a Starbucks all the time (nor do I want to be!) and I've found Boingo has much better coverage around most cities - surprisingly!

All the best!
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
T4 lounges have open networks

The lounges in T4 leak signal out into the departures level. Varig's was free; there were a couple others that I didn't bother to try. I was in the carpeted "sitting area" to the right of the check-in desks.

T4 is also open 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.