Wiki Posts
Search

PCMCIA slot wireless card for Linksys

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2004, 11:42 am
Original Poster

PCMCIA slot wireless card for Linksys

Hello,

I have an older laptop with Win95. In addition to my workstation and my parents' workstations for their work. All networked. I am looking to buy a Linksys Wireless card for the card slot. I cannot find one that is compatible with Windows 95. Does anyone know where I can get a Linksys wireless card that is compatible with Windows 95?

Thanks

Last edited by fromYYZ_flyer; May 14, 2004 at 11:50 am
Old May 14, 2004, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Isn't Win95 a wee bit out of date? You'll have about as much luck finding a wireless card supporting Win95 as one supporting DOS.

FewMiles..
Old May 15, 2004, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
You are going to need at least Win98 Release 2 for any wireless cards on the market, from my experience.
Old May 15, 2004, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Like I said, its an older Fujitsu laptop. I dont think I have an old Win 98SE or Win ME CD around and it definiately isnt worth using my XP code on it since I would rather save that for when my workstation goes down and I need XP for that. I doubt it would run XP or ME or barely 98SE since its HD is 2GB and very low RAM and Processor.
Old May 16, 2004, 11:04 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by FewMiles
Isn't Win95 a wee bit out of date? You'll have about as much luck finding a wireless card supporting Win95 as one supporting DOS.

FewMiles..
Don't laugh. Enterasys' RoamAbout card does just that. Also supports Win3.1 and 95... you can get 'em on Ebay for around $35 or a new card should run around $80.
Old May 18, 2004, 12:17 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by fromYYZ_flyer
Does anyone know where I can get a Linksys wireless card that is compatible with Windows 95?
My Linksys WPC11 ver 3 works perfectly under Windows 95 (I use mine on a Win95 computer in our guest room--nothing but the finest for our visitors (Linksys, that is )

Linksys WPC11 Product Info
-
WPC11 Source - CompUSA.com - $49.99 (after $10 mail-in rebate till end of May)

Last edited by Grog; May 18, 2004 at 12:25 pm
Old May 18, 2004, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had an old Netblaster wireless card from SoHo that worked just fine in my old Fujitsu 280DX laptop running Windows 95.
Old May 18, 2004, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I upgraded older 3 computers (PII and 128mb min) running Win95 to XP Pro (also tried Win2000 but prefer XP) and have been very pleased with the results.

MisterNice
Old May 18, 2004, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

We are talking PI, 16MB of RAM and 2GB hardrive.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:38 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Will it work on my Commodore 64 or Timex Sinclair?

FYI-Windows 95 (and soon 98 if not already) are no longer supported by Microsoft and have reached "end of life" status. That means manufacturers will most likely not be writing drivers for these operating systems. Time to upgrade! As has been said, I think you will find XP will work just fine on your laptop, although you will probably have to flash the BIOS to the latest revision.
Old May 28, 2004, 10:38 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
Will it work on my Commodore 64 or Timex Sinclair?

FYI-Windows 95 (and soon 98 if not already) are no longer supported by Microsoft and have reached "end of life" status. That means manufacturers will most likely not be writing drivers for these operating systems. Time to upgrade! As has been said, I think you will find XP will work just fine on your laptop, although you will probably have to flash the BIOS to the latest revision.
Have you ever tried fitting Windows XP on a 2GB hard drive???? I have and that was running on a PIII-500 with 128MB of RAM... (special application, LONG story). There's not much room left over even when you strip all the crap out! That's 128MB RAM with a somewhat decent processor. This is a Pentium laptop with 16MB. XP wouldn't even run in 16MB of RAM... BIOS upgrade or not. Frankly, '95 isn't pleasant in 16MB RAM!
Old May 28, 2004, 5:16 pm

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
Originally Posted by kanebear
Have you ever tried fitting Windows XP on a 2GB hard drive???? I have and that was running on a PIII-500 with 128MB of RAM... (special application, LONG story). There's not much room left over even when you strip all the crap out! That's 128MB RAM with a somewhat decent processor. This is a Pentium laptop with 16MB. XP wouldn't even run in 16MB of RAM... BIOS upgrade or not. Frankly, '95 isn't pleasant in 16MB RAM!
Then why are you hanging on to it? Sounds like "doorstop" time to me. There are lots of good deals on laptops out there.
Old May 29, 2004, 4:40 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pointfreak!
Then why are you hanging on to it? Sounds like "doorstop" time to me. There are lots of good deals on laptops out there.
People hang on to them because they have 'em, they're paid for, and they work. To buy anything else takes some time, money, and adjustment. It's all about the purpose, and if their purpose is still being served for a while, then that's good.
Old May 29, 2004, 6:27 am

People hang on to them because they have 'em, they're paid for, and they work. To buy anything else takes some time, money, and adjustment. It's all about the purpose, and if their purpose is still being served for a while, then that's good.
I agree...BUT if you want the latest & greatest hardware advances (as the original poster desires) and your platform wont support them...well...you cant have it both ways.

Last edited by Pointfreak!; May 29, 2004 at 6:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.