Wiki Posts
Search

The iPod now has WMA compatibility with iTunes 4.5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
The iPod now has WMA compatibility with iTunes 4.5

iTunes 4.5 came out today (it's the 1 year anniversary of the iTunes Music Store). One of the neater features is that you can now import WMA songs into your iTunes library. They're converted to AAC in the process, which allows them to be transferred to the iPod.

The DRM in the new version has changed slightly for iTunes Music Store purchases: You can now keep your songs on up to 5 blessed computers. It used to be 3. In addition, you can burn the same playlist only 7 times now (down from 10). I'd say it's a decent tradeoff. We have 5 Mac/Wintel computers in my household that are all used regularly, so being able to share the songs among all of them will be handy. I don't think the playlist restrictions would potentially hamper someone as much as the # of blessed machines would.

In addition, users are now able to compose and print out CD labels and jewel case sleeves from iTunes.

Other details can be found in this article, or any of the others listed at MacSurfer.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When will the Windows version finally get updated? After an inital (bugfix) update it's been mighty quiet for us, expecially considering it was announced as the best thing since sliced bread...
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never mind, I just found that the "check for updates" option in 4.2 doesn't work

It says 4.2 is still the newest... But on apple.com/itunes you can download 4.5...
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:12 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Saying it has WMA compatability for the iPod is a stretch. But it does give a way for people who (unfortunately? ) ripped their CD libraries into WMA to use an iPod and iTunes. This process will *not* convert any of the tracks from the online stores that sell WMA songs because of the DRM. Only unprotected WMAs can be converted.

Still, I think it may be a help in selling a few more iPods.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 1:38 am
Original Poster

One other thing...

In celebration of the anniversary, Apple is giving away one song free each day. Wednesday it was a Foo Fighters' song, Thurs it was an Avril Lavigne song. Today it's Courtney Love, Hold On to Me. It's a specific song that's free, not credit for whatever song you want. Still kinda neat though.

Just go to the music store through iTunes, and the Free Song link is right in the middle of the home page.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 5:24 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I still gotta use some free credits from Pepsi caps by tonight.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Wink

Me -- I mean, somebody else not living in my household and not a member of my immediate family -- too.

hehe

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.