Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can anyone help me become a Gmail Beta Tester???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can anyone help me become a Gmail Beta Tester???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Missed that post! Sorry!
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:32 pm
Lux

Are you a regular user of blogger? Google has started sending out invitations for testing to this group.

Good review of Gmail by Jack Schofield in today's Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/sto...197476,00.html interesting to see how they don't use folders but a system of categories and stars. Yikes.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold
I use cPanel, which has Horde, SquirrelMail, and NeoMail. The filters are SpamAssasin I think.

Originally Posted by ScottC
ANYONE with Linux, but not much linux knowledge should install the Kerio mail server.

It's got Spamassassin, McAfee, Webmail AND Wapmail all in one.

PLUS, it's got a Windows AND Mac based management console.

Best mailserver I've ever run. On my co-lo servers I run the "real stuff" but for home nothing beats Kerio!
Old Apr 22, 2004, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by Lux
[...] interesting to see how they don't use folders but a system of categories and stars. Yikes.

I'm not sure that's a "yikes". Folders are possibly the single worst filing system in existence for information that can be multiply referenced. You can only put a piece of paper in one file folder. You can crossreference a piece of information content hundreds of different ways; the problem is purely in indexing and searching (sound like something Google might be good at?)
Old Apr 22, 2004, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmenaker
see above

why do you want it?
I want it basically because I think Google is a good company, and I'm fed up with Yahoo! and (especially) Hotmail. I do use blogger, but I'm in no way a power-user, so I haven't seen any invitation forthcoming from that channel. Anyone have any ideas???
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:12 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
All of you Unixors, just install a webmail program on your server. Not as good as Gmail, but beats Pine
Most things beat Pine. I tried to make mutt do what I want for some months, and finally went back to Pine.

On the mailserver front, I run qmail at work and my personal e-mail lives behind a custom qmail setup that includes spamassasin.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Most things beat Pine. I tried to make mutt do what I want for some months, and finally went back to Pine.

On the mailserver front, I run qmail at work and my personal e-mail lives behind a custom qmail setup that includes spamassasin.
wandering off topic, but I'm a sendmail guy myself... currently using SpamAssassin 3.0-r10051 3.0 is proving much more effective at the sneaky stuff, but I figure it's only because the spammers haven't ruend their full attention to it yet.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 9:56 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I have at least one acquaintance who does have a Gmail account. I asked him last night how he got it. He replied today that he knows someone who works at Google. I think that's the main way people are getting beta tester accounts for now, plus maybe a few Blogger users according to Lux's post above. Actually, the guy I'm thinking of is also a user of Blogger. That isn't what he told me as the reason, but maybe it helped.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:08 pm

Programs: AAPLT, SK/G, A3/G
Well, some of you have AA EXP or BA Premier, but I have a Gmail account

I was sent an invite from a Google-employee friend. As far as I know only Google employees have the ability to invite someone.

Honestly I am not impressed with it. Privacy issue aside, Google keeps on promoting this new system that groups your message into threads, and you keep track of your emails via "labels" instead of traditional folders.

I can't stand it. With my regular work mail I'm subscribed to 6 mailing lists each with its own folder and own filter to move them automatically. I subbed to one mailing list with Gmail as a test and all of it just end up being a giant mess in my inbox. The only other place to store them is an "archive" folder.

If I can't organize all of my mails, I can only use it for casual usage. But if I only use it casually, I wouldn't need 1GB of space...
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
I think I'll just wait until I clear the Gmail waitlist the normal way.
Old Apr 27, 2004, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ben1979
Well, some of you have AA EXP or BA Premier, but I have a Gmail account

I was sent an invite from a Google-employee friend. As far as I know only Google employees have the ability to invite someone.

Honestly I am not impressed with it. Privacy issue aside, Google keeps on promoting this new system that groups your message into threads, and you keep track of your emails via "labels" instead of traditional folders.

I can't stand it. With my regular work mail I'm subscribed to 6 mailing lists each with its own folder and own filter to move them automatically. I subbed to one mailing list with Gmail as a test and all of it just end up being a giant mess in my inbox. The only other place to store them is an "archive" folder.

If I can't organize all of my mails, I can only use it for casual usage. But if I only use it casually, I wouldn't need 1GB of space...

Actually, active users of Blogger are able to get an account too
Old May 1, 2004, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ScottC
Actually, active users of Blogger are able to get an account too
I've never heard of or used that site. I signed up to be a beta tester of Gmail about an hour after word of it came out in the snooze. Like most of the rest of you, I've heard nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.