Wiki Posts
Search

Why I will *NEVER* buy another IBM laptop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Why I will *NEVER* buy another IBM laptop

Constant problem with Windows since I installed an IBM "patch" in January.

IBM won't do anything for me except let me erase my hard drive and re-install everything. No real Windows support at all. Just "reinstall everything" which isn't an answer.

I am paying someone to help me and hopefully fix the problem and I plan on suing IBM if it amounts to much money.

It didn't used to be this way with IBM. But it is now.

I cannot recommend any IBM Windows product and would strongly dissuade you from considering one.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:48 am

Sorry to hear about your problem with windows on a Thinkpad. You might consider joining the thinkpad mailing list, which has some people who are extremely knowledgable about thinkpads.

http://stderr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/thinkpad

If the problem is solvable, odds are good they'll find a solution.

Many, if not most, vendors react to Windows problems with the suggestion you erase and reinstall. Hard to comment on your issue without more information. Unfortunately, software license agreements and related low rarely give a user much chance in litigation.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gaucho is having the same problems, if I remember correctly they have already had to replace his motherboard, fix his modem (after they screwed it up) etc...

I've ALWAYS been against IBM's and now it's obvious why.

JUNK.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 2:28 pm

I have a Thinkpad for work and refer to it as the "notebook from he##" I share your pain!
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA General Member
Having standardized on them in corporate environments since 1996, I will say again that I have never regretted the decision, nor can I remember any problems of significance in all that time.

We get our first X40 to evaluate (play with) tomorrow. I can't wait to see it in the flesh, as it were.
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:54 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I will never buy anything but a ThinkPad; my current T30 is by far the best, most stable machine I have ever owned.

Obviously mileage varies....
Old Mar 12, 2004, 6:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by winkydink:
We get our first X40 to evaluate (play with) tomorrow. I can't wait to see it in the flesh, as it were.</font>
Please post your impressions. I'm thinking of buying one as soon as there is availability.

Old Mar 12, 2004, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta-Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott-Lifetime Titanium. Priority Club-Platinum
I am writing this on a Thinkpad A20p. It has been very good to me...stable.

Not to defend IBM, but remember that the patches they write can't be tested against every other piece of software in existence (and combinations thereof)...which is why they want you to start with a clean slate.

Old Mar 12, 2004, 11:03 am

I've had an R32 for a few years now. It's on the third motherboard, but each time IBM had it fixed within two days. And, the last time they sent a guy to my house.

Re-installing everything on a ThinkPad should be a snap, no?. In fact, why not do a annual rebuild of your system anyway? Good to clean house once in a while...
Old Mar 13, 2004, 12:37 am

Programs: UA, WN, AA Plat, too many hotels
Sorry but my experience with my IBM T20 ThinkPad is excellent. Not only has it performed with out any issues other than one CMOS battery change, but it has taken a beating on the road. I've been thru three sets of desktops at the office in the three plus years I've had it.

Our department has two ThinkPad T20's including mine and 6 newer Compaqs. Both of us with the T20s opted NOT to upgrade two the newer Compaqs based on how well the IBM's have held up and how fast the Compaq were going down.

Working on it now and we're back on the road together tomorrow with a 7:59 dept.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:43 am
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Well, I have my old but trusty IBM X21, which is absolutely wonderful. Although it's getting a little old, and slow compared to most newer models, I think its an excellent machine.

But as with everything, (i.e. Netgear routers), you are going to have a faulty one once in a while.

Now, if you want to talk crappy laptops, let's talk Toshibas. In my prior gig, the company bought a bunch of them, all of them had to be returned to be repaired.

Not that is bad
Old Mar 13, 2004, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I used to be a big fan. But I have seen how they dodge any responsibility for their OEM verion of Windows. They are responsible for supporting Windows but they can't and won't.

It's like the old days of finger-pointing between vendors. Who needs it?

Are all the computer companies like this now?
Old Mar 14, 2004, 2:22 pm

I had a T20 for &gt;3 years which was excellent until the LCD died. IBM wanted $600 to replace it, so I got a brand new T40 off eBay in Nov 03. Also a great machine, although the build quality of the T40 is nothing like the T20's.

One reason I'll stick with IBM as long as I stick with Wintel is IBM's customer support. I'm not sure who else provides worldwide warranty coverage without extra charges/registration/other caveats (certainly not Dell) and based on the few requests I've put in for service so far it's always been done nicely and quickly. No software issues so far though, so I can't comment on that.

That said, I'm currently eyeing a powerbook
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
I used to be a big fan. But I have seen how they dodge any responsibility for their OEM verion of Windows. They are responsible for supporting Windows but they can't and won't.
</font>
Who needs windoze?

http://www.emperorlinux.com/raven.php

I don't work for these guys, but I do buy their products.

Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:05 pm

Programs: NetJets Marquis, Southwest Moo, Marriott Platinum
I've had nothing but problems with IBM Thinkpads. Driver issues, LCD actually catching on fire, hard drives dying left and right.

I've had Toshiba, IBM and Dells for the past 18 yrs and I'd live with any of them BUT an IBM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.