Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop Processor questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2004, 11:48 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Laptop Processor questions

Which Intel processor is more powerfur, the Pentium M or the Pentium IV? Isnt there a mobile version of the P4...? Isnt is the Pentium 4 M..? Or is that the M processor?

Whats the fastest clock speeds available for the top notch processor at this moment?

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 1:45 pm

The Pentium 4 M is indeed the mobile version of the P4. Top spec is 3.2GHz, 533MHz FSB, with Hyperthreading.

The Pentium M is a different and much more efficient architecture. Top spec is 1.7GHz.

The P4, due to its high power consumption and heat output, isn't really suited for laptops, even in P4-M form with power saving Speedstep technology. It is thus mostly used in large 'desknotes' these days.

Price-wise, the OEM price for a Pentium M is about the same as for a Pentium 4 with double the clock speed.

Performance-wise, one could say a P4 needs, very roughly, 1.5-2 times the clock speed to achieve a Pentium M's performance. The P4 is especially suited for encoding video stream, hardly the most common use for a laptop.

In short: you want a Pentium M 1.7 in your new T42

Old Mar 16, 2004, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by monahos:

In short: you want a Pentium M 1.7 in your new T42

</font>
Yes... although I think Im gonna either jump ship and buy a Liebermann or wait until the T50 comes out with a Pentium M with a 3.5 clock and all the glitches fixes...
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
There is not T50 on the horizon for at least the next 6 months. The P-M 1.7 is the fastest out there now with any concern over battery life (the P4m 3.2 is nice but eats up batteries way to much to be considered a portable). The T41 or T42 with the P-M 1.7 is the way to go today. There will be a 1.8 and 2.0 out by late Q3.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up, Quattro. Do you work for IBM or something...?

I wonder if IBM will go straight from the T42 to the T50, or if they will add another 4x to the product line.

I invested heavily in RAM for my current T30. I wonder if the new T42s or T50 will use the same RAM for 2005 models....
Old Mar 16, 2004, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
I don't work for IBM but spend a lot of time with their product line.

Right now the T42 shows as being a valid model till at least mid Q4. That is as far out as I can see at the moment. The next rev of the P-M chips from IBM might change things a bit but for now that is where they are. If you look at the Thinkpad lineups for the last few years they usually get to the third model number before the refresh.

RAM is a hard thing to look at as an investment. Prices change often and having more is always a good thing. My theory is to buy what you need/want now and if it works in the next rev machines you are that much ahead of the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.