Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Decent standalone calendar (NOT Outlook) for PocketPC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:58 am
Original Poster

I don't use Outlook on my PC, and yet I have a PocketPC. (Yeah, dumb, I know.)

I've tried using the built-in Outlook calendar standalone, but it's pretty feature-poor (no search facility - I can't find that appt that I think I have sometime during the summer - and I want to be able to see my appts in an "at-a-glance" format for a month at a time, or even a week..). I'm guessing that these features are available on the desktop, but not the handheld.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent calendar app that runs on a PocketPC and *doesn't* rely on Outlook? (I guess I was spoiled by my old HP 200LX and its DOS-based calendar app.)

p.s. I checked out "TripTracker" from Two Peaks Software - pretty cool program for creating and tracking itineraries and expenses (and even FF accounts), but it relies on Outlook for calendaring.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.chaossoftware.com/

Time and Chaos is a complete PIM with a desktop app. MUCH better than the default one IMHO.

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:53 am

Have you been to Handango? They sell software for PDA's. It has a large inventory of programs, including alternate calendars for the PPC.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.

[This message has been edited by businesstraveler (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by businesstraveler:
Have you been to Handango? They sell software for PDA's. It has a large inventory of programs, including alternate calendars for the PPC.

</font>

Handango may have loads of calendar apps, but very few have desktop PIM replacements.

As for handango, I'd advise against them, terrible customer service, simply terrible. Use www.pocketgear.com instead who focus completely on the PPC.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks all -- I knew I came to the right place. :-)

(Regarding Handango and other similar sites which offer multiple solutions: I was hoping for a personal recommendation - "I use XYZ and it works great". Maybe I'm just lazy but I was hoping to avoid trying out 94 different possibilities!!)
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:48 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have used Time and Chaos for 10 years. It is excellent.

The plug-in, though, to sync with PocketPC or Palm will cost you extra though. It's well worth it, imo.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
http://www.chaossoftware.com/

Time and Chaos is a complete PIM with a desktop app. MUCH better than the default one IMHO.

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited Mar 07, 2004).]
</font>
Old Mar 12, 2004, 8:00 am

I agree with the poster above regarding Handango. I have purchased two of their titles for my IPAQ 3975--Neither has worked and multiple e-mails to customer service and technical support only produced an e-mail saying that they passed inquiry on to the software author.

No resolution at all!!! Stay away from Handango software by all means.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 6:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ski Ag-'82:
I agree with the poster above regarding Handango. I have purchased two of their titles for my IPAQ 3975--Neither has worked and multiple e-mails to customer service and technical support only produced an e-mail saying that they passed inquiry on to the software author.

No resolution at all!!! Stay away from Handango software by all means.
</font>
Not to dispute that you two have had trouble, but I have purchased many titles for both Palm and PPC from Handango and never had a bit of trouble. Quite surprised to hear that others have not been so fortunate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.