Need Advice on WiFi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice on WiFi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Need Advice on WiFi

My firm is going to be providing me with wireless WiFi...I travel extensively to many different states ...as well as occasionally to Europe. I reside in San Diego....can you guys recommend a WiFi provider that's the best for domestic travel?

I have heard of Boingo,Earthlink,T-Mobile,Sprint....what do you guys think/use??

[This message has been edited by IMStill4Travel (edited Dec 01, 2003).]
Old Dec 1, 2003, 9:44 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I have been very happy with T-mobile. $29.99/month and virtually every California Starbucks has it. (I think you can even get UA miles now for signing up somewhere through UA's website). You can check locations here:
http://locations.hotspot.t-mobile.com/
Old Dec 1, 2003, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
I'm not really a big Starbuck's guy...and it seems as though that's where most of their hotspots are: one ignorant question though.....my firm is letting me choose the provider etc....if I pick one like Boingo for example...and my firm pays Boingo for the service...I don';t have to pay the 9.95 access fee for high speed at hotels do I? Please enlighten me on this topic...thanks,
Old Dec 2, 2003, 12:44 am

Programs: Mr Swise: AAdvantage LifetimePlt/3MM, HH Dmnd, SPG Plt
WIFI requires that the location in which you're using your WIFI enabled laptop have a base unit that is connected to the internet. You connect to a base or hub, which patches you through to the internet. Starbucks, Admirals Clubs, etc have systems in place that require you to pay or to have a subscription before they patch you through.

WIFI doesn't work like a dialup account, where the phone line allows you to dial up any service provider you wish to use. The WIFI locations that require you to pay don't give you an option of which service to use. The whole base unit and setup will be provided by one company, and when you connect to their base, you then open up your web browser to either pay for one-time use or enter your subscription login ID and password. Once validated, you're free to roam across the internet.

If you just need WIFI and will be traveling to destinations that are pretty "wired," such as the Bay Area, Seattle, Austin, Dallas, NYC, Boston, etc, then you could probably get by fine just going to locally owned coffee shops that have free WIFI. Do a little research before you go and find a list of establishments that offer free WIFI. Here in Austin, for example, AustinWireless.net has a handy list of nodes around austin, both free and not free. I'm sure other cities have similar listings. Boingo actually lists the free nodes along with its own.

If you're going to less "connected" localles and need a subscription, I would recommend TMobile's HotSpots plan to use in Starbucks and the Admirals Clubs (or just beyond it, if your reception is good). TMobile, since it's available at Starbucks, will be the most accessible across the country. No need to feel obligated to buy a drink, since you're paying for the connection.

TMobile doesn't seem to be quite so prevalent in hotels. So that's the primary drawback.

Here's a link to as site that lists hotels that have high speed internet access. Those with WIFI (aka wireless internet access) are included in the lists...
http://www.geektools.com/geektels

Here are some links for some other WIFI providers available through hotels that I've run across...
http://www.stayonline.net/
http://www.wayport.net/
http://www.deepbluewireless.com/
http://www.stsn.com

I'm definitely not an expert here, so if anyone can clarify the mud any better, please do!

[This message has been edited by swise (edited Dec 02, 2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2003, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
I have found Wayport to be the one that shows up most frequently in hotels and airports.

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of the new, improved Si-Re-Do
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I like Starbucks but dont typically use TMobile there but rather in Admirals Clubs and in UA Red Carpet Clubs. If you travel a lot I think that is the main advantage. You mentioned Sprint however, and I wasnt sure of what you meant in this context. Sprint, Verizon and TMobile (and others) also have high speed internet capable phones or modem cards. These dont require a WiFi hotspot but only a digital cell system set for data. Are you considering this as well? The advantages of the cell systems are they work virtually anywhere you are. The disadvantage is they arent as fast as WiFi connections.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As to the Hotel Question, yes you will probably have to pay at most places. Wireless has a very short range and unless the hotel has wired the hotel for wireless, it's doubtful you will get a random signal from outside.
Old Dec 2, 2003, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The answer for you is IPASS. IPASS is the middle-man for most all these wireless providers. You won't have to pay a dime at hotels or anywhere. You just log on with the IPASS client and the bill goes back to your corporation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.