Wiki Posts
Search

NW or United?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2001, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Missouri, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP
NW or United?

I want to obtain a higher status on a 'back-up' airline and would like some input from the experts on this list. I was trying TWA as my back-up, but with the talks of merging with AA (my primary airline), I'd like to try someone else. NW and United are the two options available to me from my home airport base (SGF). Any comments?
Old Feb 23, 2001, 9:34 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
While you still can...stick with TWA. Buy your tickets thru lowestfare.com and get 25% off. Post miles to either TW or AA.

If merger goes thru, all miles will end up with AA, anyway. If posting miles to AA, TWA can count as Q miles.

25% off business fares can really add up quick! Take advantage of it while U still can. Just MHO...FWIW.
Old Feb 23, 2001, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
UA has better Coach seating for Elite passengers. THe service is overall better thatn other airlines.
Old Feb 23, 2001, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by tvl4free:
While you still can...stick with TWA. Buy your tickets thru lowestfare.com and get 25% off. Post miles to either TW or AA.

If merger goes thru, all miles will end up with AA, anyway. If posting miles to AA, TWA can count as Q miles.

25% off business fares can really add up quick! Take advantage of it while U still can. Just MHO...FWIW.
I don't mind sticking with TWA while all the options are worked out between AA/TWA and to see if the deal does go through - but that still leaves my question. If TWA does merge with AA, would you use NW or UAL as the back-up airline? Which travel program is better, which airline is better?
Thanks!

Old Feb 23, 2001, 1:31 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
I think UAL is a better airline for frequent flyers because of the economy plus section, and Premier bonuses, but NWA is better with shoveling the miles your way with route bonuses, connecting bonuses, check in bonuses, and even bonuses you don't even know about. I once ended up with 7500 Worldperks miles for a round trip from DEN-MEM-DFW. I also think, based on my experience, that NWA gets a bad rap with travelers. Their service has always been excellent for me. Daze
Old Feb 23, 2001, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (mostly earned on CO)
I know this is not exactly what you asked, but to pop a question back at you: how come you're going for backup elite status?

One year, I had elite on Continental, Delta, and United. I found that I did much better by pretty much sticking to one. Have you considered going for top tier on AA rather than mid level elite on two airlines? Just a thought.
Old Feb 23, 2001, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by dgolds:
I know this is not exactly what you asked, but to pop a question back at you: how come you're going for backup elite status?

One year, I had elite on Continental, Delta, and United. I found that I did much better by pretty much sticking to one. Have you considered going for top tier on AA rather than mid level elite on two airlines? Just a thought.
I sometimes prefer the schedules of the other airlines when I have to fly to the NE part of the country. When I do have to travel on the other airlines, it is hard to go back to the status of a 'regular' passenger when I am a frequent traveler and unfortunately get used to the perks I have with AA. Traveling on other airlines for certain trips sometimes means being able to arrive home several hours earlier, or sometimes just a better flight schedule.

Old Feb 23, 2001, 9:05 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
If you have to connect, you may want to consider NW, as I believe you're less likely to have delays flying through DTW than ORD.

In some regards, I too think NW gets a bad rap. Certainly there are a lot of aspects of their product that just aren't quite as nice (more drab interiors, mediocre first class, etc.) but I have had few bad experiences on NW and have found them far more reliable than AA, another airline I fly frequently.

NW's elite program provides free unlimited upgrades and my feeling is that you would have more luck with upgrades on NW than UA.

On the other hand, UA's F is much better, it has economy plus, it has power ports, it has nicer clubs. But it also has Chicago.
Old Feb 25, 2001, 9:11 am

I personally would go for Continental Elite status by way of NWA. They give status based on segments, and continental seems to have many more promotions for miles going on currently (I'm referring to miles actually obtained by flying). Additionally, their elite packets seem to be much better than those offered by NWA, and you receive nearly the same perks with the elite status (the one notable difference is that it is possible to upgrade to first on an award ticket with NWA gold and above).
Old Feb 26, 2001, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
Although I prefer United - if I were in your position, I would get a status match from Northwest WorldPerks or their partner Continental OnePass. United more than likely will not match your status, however OnePass and CO will - and that status is good for both NW, CO & to a lesser degree America West.

CO/NW elites receive free upgrades without certs (like UA requires) when available. So I would continue to fly qualifying AA segments, whether on AA or a partner, and get your status match at CO. I did this last year and it has worked out great.

As a side note, just make a generic letter and insert -blank airline name- and send it to everyone and get them to match your status. You never know when you'll get stuck on another airline.

------------------
Ken in Sacramento
Old Feb 26, 2001, 1:26 pm
Original Member

This is really an easy decision. NW just stinks. I mean REALLY lousy. And they're not even apologetic about it. ANY AIRLINE BUT NW is the correct answer.
Old Feb 26, 2001, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
I'm no fan of Northwest, but United is THE PITS. Stick with NW/CO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.