Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with a Powerbook...Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2003, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Traveling with a Powerbook...Help!!!

I am a Windows user at home and work. My husband has an Apple Powerbook (G4 I think). We will be traveling to Seattle and Vancouver over Christmas and we will have the laptop.

At work he accesses the net via AirPort. Is this WiFi? Can he use this laptop to access High Speed access in hotels that have high speed access or is that access for Windows only?

We are staying at Starwood hotels that have high speed. I guess I am really wondering if I will need special cables or if the access will be incompatible. Thanks for any help you can give.

Old Dec 1, 2003, 2:40 pm

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Airport is the Apple name for WiFi access. You will have no problem accessing high speed in the hotels with the powerbook. You may want to bring your own ethernet cable, as some hotels may charge for this in addition to the cost of the high speed access.

I have had no problems using my powerbook in any Starwood hotels in either Seattle or Vancouver.

Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 1, 2003, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Basically there are 2 methods of high-speed internet access (HSIA) in hotels.

First is a physical Ethernet connection. This is what the previous poster meant when he advised you to bring your own Ethernet cable. Good idea if the HSIA connection is through a "female" port on the wall. Having said that, most HSIA-equipped hotel rooms nowadays have an Ethernet wire that has a "male" connector which mates with the "female" Ethernet port on your Notebook without a need for an extra cable.

The other method is wireless HSIA which is less frequently avaialable in the guest rooms themselves but usually available in various public locations throughout the hotel, e.g. lobby, business center, coffee shop. In this case, the PB G4's Airport (Wi-Fi) receiver will automatically show what networks are available. You can then connect to it for free or a fee.

My experience has been that the in-room Ethernet HSIA usually runs $10/day (or usually free to hotel's elite members) and the lobby Wi-Fi is free.
Old Dec 1, 2003, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the explanations. We should be set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.