Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best Multi-Mode Cell Phone Money Can Buy -- Any Suggestion?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2003, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Admirals Club, Global Entry

Hi,

Which Multi-Mode (GSM+TDMA+Analog) Cell Phone do you guys think is the best?

I am using a dual band Nokia 8260 in Cingular National network for the last couple of years. Its too old now. Thinking to buy a new phone, but I travel extensively, so GSM alone is not going to be useful. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Tintin
Old Oct 28, 2003, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tintin:
Hi,

I am using a dual band Nokia 8260 in Cingular National network for the last couple of years. Its too old now. Thinking to buy a new phone, but I travel extensively, so GSM alone is not going to be useful. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Tintin
</font>
There was just a new CDMA/GSM phone approved from Samsung (I think). It will likely be a Verizon phone in the not too distant future. I forget if it has analog or not. I have found the Verizon CDMA network to be vastly superior to TDMA, When it comes to TDMA/GSM phones there really arent a lot of choices. From what I have read the Nokia is about as good as it gets. You might consider waiting for the Samsung.

Old Oct 28, 2003, 6:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Best - can't say that it may be, but I have had the sony t61u for a few months and it's been very good to me. The few times it's had to go analog, I've been very glad I had a phone that could still do analog.

Doesn't have all the GSM bands, so I move the SIM card over to another phone for overseas.

[This message has been edited by cordelli (edited 10-29-2003).]
Old Oct 29, 2003, 1:19 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tintin:
Hi,

Thanks,
Tintin
</font>
How about a Sat. phone.
Old Oct 30, 2003, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Cingular has two GAIT or GSM/TDMA phones they still support today for new users... There is the Sony Ericsson one mentions and the Nokia device.

The TDMA and Analog portion of these devices have another 2 years to live before you will see MAJOR de-emphasis of supporting these dead end technologies. Rural network operators are supporting both GSM and CDMA overlays to their current networks. This is happening faster than you tbink.

E.g. look at Cingular's proposed coverage areas (e.g. Montana, North Dakota, etc), these are with rural operators providing roaming:

http://onlinestore.cingular.com/weba...st_7_31_03.htm

You will see further rural market coverage over the next few years as well...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.