Reload this Page >

Cheap GSM phone for India/Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap GSM phone for India/Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2004, 5:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
List of GSM Service providers in India

Here is the link to the GSM providers
Old Sep 27, 2004, 4:55 pm
Suspended

I have an unlocked dual band GSM (1900/900 MHz) Samsung R225 M from T-mobile, which worked fine in Thailand, as well as India.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
So are there no national providers in India? Can I not use a single SIM for free inbound calls when in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Pune, etc.?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by stimpy
So are there no national providers in India? Can I not use a single SIM for free inbound calls when in Mumbai, Delhi, Chennai, Pune, etc.?
I did not find a "national" provider that allowed free inbound calls outside of their "local" calling areas. There may be a national provider but I'm not aware of any. Most provide roaming but at an extra cost.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:48 pm

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Back on topic, I'm planning a week-long biz trip all over India. Which is the best nation-wide carrier to buy a pre-paid SIM from? I mainly want to receive calls for free, but might make a few international calls too. It would be nice if I could buy this at DEL or BOM.
I use an Airtel prepaid SIM card when I'm in India. Its got pretty much the best coverage nationwide. If you buy it in BOM, outgoing local calls should vary between Rs 1 to Rs 2.25 per minute. International calls are usually from Rs 11-17 per minute while sending an international SMS is Rs 5. Incoming is free in the region you buy the SIM.

When you're out of BOM (ie. roaming nationwide) add about Rs 6 per minute to both incoming and outgoing calls.

IIRC, 1 US$ = Rs 46.
Old Sep 29, 2004, 12:01 pm

Maybe things are changing? I can't speak for Delhi, but had no problems on my trip earlier this month to Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra.

I bought my pre-paid SIM from AirTel Chennai and was able to roam with it in Maharashtra. My incoming calls were free while roaming. Not sure if that's a billing oversight or a new rule.
I am allowing for the possibility of billing oversight, since the card was supposed to expire (according to the sticker on the starter pack) a week after activation unless I topped it up (top up cards start at 50 rupees and are available in every corner shop) but it lasted at least 3 weeks.
There's also a handy feature that texts you your new balance after every call or SMS.

Last edited by mashav; Sep 29, 2004 at 12:04 pm
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:36 pm

Airtel Delhi

Originally Posted by mashav
Maybe things are changing? I can't speak for Delhi
Just got back from touring India & used a prepaid Airtel Delhi SIM card while I was there. Airtel roaming worked fine in Jaipur, Jodhpur & Mumbai. The card did not pick up a network in Jaisalmer, Bikaner, Varanasi or Khajuraho and I had to use my T-Mobile SIM card. Note also that if you get a SIM card for Delhi, you have to charge it up in Delhi -- you can't roam to Mumbai and add money there.

It was quite easy to get the SIM card -- the guys at the shop around the corner from my hotel only wanted a copy of the front page of my passport.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)
Bumping this up for a upcoming trip to Chennai.
I normally get my pre-paid SIMs from telestial.com but they want $79 for an Airtel SIM and you only get $5 of airtime....seems very steep....I like getting my in-country phone# in advance but not that bad.

So is the info on this thread about getting a SIM in India with a passport copy
still valid and is the initial cost more reasonable there?
Old Jul 17, 2008, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

These are actually great old phones. I have a T39m as my "cheap phone to take overseas" when I don't want to risk my blackberry.

And great FT spirit there, MedEdGuy!

Originally Posted by MedEdGuy
I've got an old GSM phone in my junk drawer. It's an Ericsson T28 World, and it's yours if you want it. Just drop me an email with your address, and pass it along to another FTer when you're done with it.

-Jeffrey
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
I normally get my pre-paid SIMs from telestial.com but they want $79 for an Airtel SIM and you only get $5 of airtime....seems very steep....I like getting my in-country phone# in advance but not that bad.

check prepaidgsm.net
when i visit two yrs ago, got airtel at hotel counter in bangalore for about US$75 and never finished the minutes after 10 days visit.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million

Yes and Yes. I don't know if Madras has an Airtel stand in the arrivals area but the other airports in India I use to enter the country commercially have a prepaid GSM operator stand that works well.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes and Yes. I don't know if Madras has an Airtel stand in the arrivals area but the other airports in India I use to enter the country commercially have a prepaid GSM operator stand that works well.
My flight from HKG arrives at 0120...are the airport concessionaires open @ that time?
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
A really cheap and good phone that I like to take traveling to the third world/un-safe locations/et. or even hiking someplace that I might break my iPhone easily is the Motorola FONE. It is dirt cheap (~$20 to $30...$35 at Tiger Direct), has an e-ink display (so you can read it in any light), great battery life, does SMS, and I don't care if it is lost or stolen.

Last edited by njmcgreg; Jul 18, 2008 at 9:02 pm Reason: To Add
Old Jul 19, 2008, 8:28 pm

sorry but posts #24 & #28 are unrelated to my question...
but thanks to the others who hit the mark...only outstanding question is: are the GSM sim card vendors open in the early AM when my flight arrives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.