Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap GSM phone for India/Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:38 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Cheap GSM phone for India/Singapore

I will be visiting India/Singapore soon for 4 weeks and looking for a cheap GSM phone. I will later buy a local SIM card for operating it. I checked ebay and found a lot of them but I was unsure whether I should get a unlocked GSM phone ...
Old Oct 13, 2003, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by debo_nair:
I will be visiting India/Singapore soon for 4 weeks and looking for a cheap GSM phone. I will later buy a local SIM card for operating it. I checked ebay and found a lot of them but I was unsure whether I should get a unlocked GSM phone ...</font>
If you want to use a prepaid SIM from India or Singapore the phone will have to be unlocked. You can either buy one that is unlocked or unlock it after you buy it, but unless it is from the carrier in India or Singapore it wont work unless it is unlocked.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Make sure you buy a 900/1800 phone. There are lots of old 1900 GSM phones on eBay and they won't work there either.

What you are looking for is an unlocked, GSM900/1800 or GSM900/1800/1900 phone. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=41348

There doesn't seem to be much on eBay right now. A nice request would probably prompt an FT'er to scrounge something from their junk drawer...

------------------
-alan in sitges, home of Si-Do
Old Oct 13, 2003, 4:30 pm

http://gsmphonesource.com/
http://ustronics.com/
Old Oct 13, 2003, 6:26 pm

Why not just hold off and get a phone out there? Most of the phones you can buy locally are sim unlocked to begin with, especially those that you can buy from a local Nokia, Motorola, or Samsung shop.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Good catch alanw, I didnt even think to mention that.

As to buying there, what is the cost like compared to here, especially if they buy a used one here.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 9:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

In India I will be travelling to Mumbai and Kerala and they are covered by http://www.bplmobile.com

I didnt see the prices online but their gallery must be the one setting the prices.
Old Oct 14, 2003, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
In India, you may need to get a friendly local to buy a SIM for you since most vendors ask for proof of some kind of address in India. For Mumbai, check out Hutchinson Max Touch's prices (they may still be under the Orange brand). They were lower than BPL's on my last visit.

BPL did have an edge in that their pre pay SIM allowed roaming in other parts of India though I expect Hutchinson to have caught up by now.

The good news is that international call costs from India using a pre pay SIM should be relatively low.

Edited to add: Enjoy India!

[This message has been edited by Internaut (edited 10-14-2003).]
Old Oct 14, 2003, 7:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alanw:

There doesn't seem to be much on eBay right now. A nice request would probably prompt an FT'er to scrounge something from their junk drawer...

</font>
I've got an old GSM phone in my junk drawer. It's an Ericsson T28 World, and it's yours if you want it. Just drop me an email with your address, and pass it along to another FTer when you're done with it.

-Jeffrey

Old Sep 24, 2004, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Followup/update requested.

Originally Posted by debo_nair
I will be visiting India/Singapore soon for 4 weeks and looking for a cheap GSM phone. I will later buy a local SIM card for operating it. I checked ebay and found a lot of them but I was unsure whether I should get a unlocked GSM phone ...
Did the OP actually go to India, and if so, what was the way he/she worked out the phone situation? A relative will be doing the same in a few weeks, so an update appreciated.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
Did the OP actually go to India, and if so, what was the way he/she worked out the phone situation? A relative will be doing the same in a few weeks, so an update appreciated.
The OP has been banned from FT.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 4:59 pm

Question

Originally Posted by Morrissey
The OP has been banned from FT.

Hmm.. Does anyone know why? After looking at OP's other seemingly innocuous posts, I'm a little curious....
Old Sep 24, 2004, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
OP borrowed my phone

Originally Posted by SoManyMiles-SoLittleTime
Yes he did go to India. As he lives close to me (20 miles) I loaned him one of my unlocked GSM phones that he used on his trip. He purchased pre-paid SIM cards while in India and they are relatively inexpensive there. All incoming calls were free. He returned the phone to me promptly when he got back.

I don't know why he is banned.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Folks, discussions about fellow members or previous members is not permitted on Flyertalk. Try getting in touch through PM or email.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Back on topic, I'm planning a week-long biz trip all over India. Which is the best nation-wide carrier to buy a pre-paid SIM from? I mainly want to receive calls for free, but might make a few international calls too. It would be nice if I could buy this at DEL or BOM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.