Best Portable DVD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Portable DVD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Best Portable DVD

What do people recommend for best portable DVD to take on trips to watch movies. Initial factors include:

1. price/value;
2. screen;
3. portability (in briefcase vs. own kit);
4. battery life; and
5. other???
Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:26 am

Programs: UA General Member
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
What do people recommend for best portable DVD to take on trips to watch movies. Initial factors include:

1. price/value;
2. screen;
3. portability (in briefcase vs. own kit);
4. battery life; and
5. other???
</font>
Wouldn't you be better served by buying a laptop with a dvd player? bigger screen and multi-purpose

Old Aug 26, 2003, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Plus, with a laptop, you can rip your DVDs into MPEG-form and play them from your laptop's hard drive. Saves on battery usage (continuous useage of the DVD drive drains the battery like crazy), you don't have to carry DVDs around (keeping scratches to a minimum), and when you're done watching the movie on the trip, you can delete it.

Movies rip to about 400-500MB for high-quality full-laptop screen viewing, so you can have about 20 movies in 10GB of space. The only disadvantage is that you won't be able to view any of the special features (i.e., commentaries, which is what I really buy DVDs for).
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neat tiny notebook that also works as an excellent DVD player is the Fujitsu Lifebook P2120 or their newer P5000 series.
Slightly larger but also faster is the new Sony TR1A ($1900).
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
With a Blackberry, I've basically gone laptop less...for those rare times when I need to make a powerpoint presentation, I have a lightweight (3lb) laptop...plus, security makes travelling with a laptop a pain.

No, I am into light and small...my Blackberry is for email and I would like a DVD player...I have been taking the Acela to NY often (maybe not so much any more) and it would be ideal for those 3.5 hour trips...

We also would use it when travelling with the kids...so it would need to have two slots for headphones...we have a DVD player built into our car and it works wonders for those 3 hour rides to VT...

I think a 6-7 inch screen sounds about right, but I have never used one before...so looking for advice.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 2:07 pm
JSD

Programs: QF P1/LTG; AA 1MM; UA 1MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Neat tiny notebook that also works as an excellent DVD player is the Fujitsu Lifebook P2120 or their newer P5000 series.
Slightly larger but also faster is the new Sony TR1A ($1900).
</font>
Agreed. I just bought the P5000 and its a great DVD player. Plus, you get a pretty nice laptop, too! Widescreen (16:9) 10.6" screen and enough battery life to make it through a 2 hour DVD (more like 5 hrs if not using the DVD player).
Old Aug 26, 2003, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nologic:
With a Blackberry, I've basically gone laptop less...for those rare times when I need to make a powerpoint presentation, I have a lightweight (3lb) laptop...plus, security makes travelling with a laptop a pain.

No, I am into light and small...my Blackberry is for email and I would like a DVD player...I have been taking the Acela to NY often (maybe not so much any more) and it would be ideal for those 3.5 hour trips...

We also would use it when travelling with the kids...so it would need to have two slots for headphones...we have a DVD player built into our car and it works wonders for those 3 hour rides to VT...

I think a 6-7 inch screen sounds about right, but I have never used one before...so looking for advice.
</font>
OK, then this would be MY pick:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...model=SD-P1200

Old Aug 26, 2003, 3:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
OK, then this would be MY pick:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/prod...model=SD-P1200

</font>

I saw the exact model Scott is referring too at BestBuy today for 399$ or similar...looks very cool, and is leightweight. Seems like an excellent choice. Having said that BB also had some other models with a slightly bigger screen in stock for roughly the same price, made by Polaroid.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:

I saw the exact model Scott is referring too at BestBuy today for 399$ or similar...looks very cool, and is leightweight. Seems like an excellent choice. Having said that BB also had some other models with a slightly bigger screen in stock for roughly the same price, made by Polaroid.
</font>
I like the Toshiba because it's rugged, does MP3's, has dual headphone jacks AND is made by Toshiba. Polaroid is just an OEM device with their name stuck on it...
Old Aug 26, 2003, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Battery, Battery, Battery, Battery.

I pretty much gave up trying to watch with my portable player on planes because about 15 minutes before the end of the movie it would die. If I was making a connection, I would watch the first half of a couple of movies, recharge it at the gate waiting for the second plane and then finish the movies.

Battery life is the first thing I would look for if I was doing it again (or the availability of a second battery).

Old Aug 27, 2003, 9:18 am

I like the Toshiba because it's rugged, does MP3's, has dual headphone jacks AND is made by Toshiba. Polaroid is just an OEM device with their name stuck on it...</font>
Not to mention that it looks pretty sharp as well in black/red.

Interesting point regarding battery life, any recommendations on how to judge whether you are getting a good battery ? I.e. is there a certain manufacturer/product specifications, one should look for ?
Old Aug 27, 2003, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
Not to mention that it looks pretty sharp as well in black/red.

Interesting point regarding battery life, any recommendations on how to judge whether you are getting a good battery ? I.e. is there a certain manufacturer/product specifications, one should look for ?
</font>
1) It needs Lithium-ion batteries, some cheap models use older NiCd cells.

2) Try and aim for a model with a least a specification of 3 hours playing time, that will usually get you around 2 1/2 hours, enough for a full movie.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 2:07 am

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
2) Try and aim for a model with a least a specification of 3 hours playing time, that will usually get you around 2 1/2 hours, enough for a full movie.</font>
And/or make sure you buy an airline adaptor to plug into the seat - no more worries about battery life when traveling

Old Sep 2, 2003, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
We also would use it when travelling with the kids...so it would need to have two slots for headphones...</font>
You can buy an adapter at Radio Shack or wherever to make a single earphone adapter connect two sets for the kids. My friends bought one when they borrowed my portable DVD player for a trip with the kids this year, it was T shaped.

I bought a 7" Audiovox lightweight portable DVD during the holiday sales last year for around $300. I use this for my personal trips (no laptop) and its been great. The battery lasts between 4 and 5 hours.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

How about the Audiovox D-1705. Says it only has a 3 hour battery:

Audiovox D1705 Portable DVD Player - It's super-slim, and your favorite movies will look fantastic on the 7" ultra slim widescreen display! You can even Output it to Surround Sound speakers for Dolby Digital or DTS audio.
- Plays CD Audio, MP3s on CD-R, VCDs, & SVCDs
- Built-in Speakers
- 3-Hour Lithium ion Battery

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.