Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

wireless modems for cell networks on laptops -- anyone using them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2003, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Being promoted heavily in the USA by Sprint and AT&T (their "Next Generation Network" which is GSM/GPRS).

Are you using them?

I use the Verizon Express Network occasionally and it is reasonably good on my Smartphone. Haven't tried the modem cards.

With wifi around and magnitudes faster, are these modem cards really any useful?
Old Aug 28, 2003, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thread on this just recently:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000460.html

As for WiFi, it's most certainly NOT "around" so being able to get online wherever a GPRS signal is certainly is a handy alternative. WiFi is nowhere near useful just yet and I don't see popping into a starbucks any time I need to get work done to be a serious alternative, perhaps for latte drinking students but not for me...

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 2003, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Thread on this just recently:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000460.html

As for WiFi, it's most certainly NOT "around" so being able to get online wherever a GPRS signal is certainly is a handy alternative. WiFi is nowhere near useful just yet and I don't see popping into a starbucks any time I need to get work done to be a serious alternative, perhaps for latte drinking students but not for me...

[This message has been edited by ScottC (edited 08-28-2003).]
</font>

I've been tempted to get the Verizon one. But my monthly wireless nut is already too high
Old Sep 1, 2003, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Just had a Vodafone one on loan from while in the UK this week (looks like a remarked merlin one)... Pretty good on their network, semed like a 40K or so connection with a little bit more latency.

Very useable with VPN... didn't surf the web (e.g. I've been off FT for a week just due to lack of time), but was acceptable.

Was much more responsive than Infrared or Bluetooth from the phone to the PC for data.

Although I did notice some areas in the country (UK) where coverage was good but latency was horrible. Might have just been network saturation or data issues?
Old Sep 1, 2003, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickP 1K:
Just had a Vodafone one on loan from while in the UK this week (looks like a remarked merlin one)... Pretty good on their network, semed like a 40K or so connection with a little bit more latency.

Very useable with VPN... didn't surf the web (e.g. I've been off FT for a week just due to lack of time), but was acceptable.

Was much more responsive than Infrared or Bluetooth from the phone to the PC for data.

Although I did notice some areas in the country (UK) where coverage was good but latency was horrible. Might have just been network saturation or data issues?
</font>
Isn't the Vodafone one made by Option?

www.option.be

Ever since Vodafone introduced Vodafone Live! GPRS latency has been pretty bad, plus a lot of UK subscribers are starting to use MMS...
Old Sep 1, 2003, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Scott, Spot on...

Vodafone's done a good job at removing ANY third party branding, logo's, stickers, part#'s of the PC card Didn't pay much attention but it seems the PCI Subsys ID's are that of option (at least on the card I have)
Old Sep 1, 2003, 1:06 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
I've briefly toyed with a Sprint aircard while in the states this year (not much). It's okay--seems like about 40k or thereabouts. A VPN is usable--web surfing is marginal at best.

As Scott mentioned, Wi-Fi penetration is not yet to the point where one can count on it. I've been stuck in a crappy room at a particular hotel across the way from my office so that I can catch a signal from our office WAPs. Pathetic, but I'm not marching to the nearest Starbucks....

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Sep 1, 2003, 1:54 pm

One of our guys in Germany got this...

Swears by it... Hasn't let him down for GPRS and has had no issues with hotspots we're subscribed to:

http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,1449,00.html
Old Sep 1, 2003, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickP 1K:

Swears by it... Hasn't let him down for GPRS and has had no issues with hotspots we're subscribed to:

</font>
SonyEricsson are releasing one pretty soon, even more compact than the Nokia version...
Old Sep 2, 2003, 3:22 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
I've briefly toyed with a Sprint aircard while in the states this year (not much). It's okay--seems like about 40k or thereabouts. A VPN is usable--web surfing is marginal at best.
</font>
I cancelled my Sprit card and even got them to waive the cancellation charge. Web surfing was painful and it was too slow for my VPN to work.

Old Sep 2, 2003, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA General Member

</font>
Very cool, but it's not tri-band, so you can't do GPRS in the US. Sny Ericsson announced one back in April, but it has yet to ship.
Old Sep 2, 2003, 9:09 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I have a Sierra AirCard on the Verizon Express Network. Posting from it now on the Acela between NY and Boston - I even happen to be on the 5 minute stretch at 150 mph.

I get between 40-60kbs, but occasional bursts up to 117kbs at some hotels.

[edited to add:]
Latency runs between 300ms and 500ms. Better than GPRS on T-Mobile, which I have tried but didn't like as much. Of course, there are occasional patches of bad latency and dropped packets. The AirCard appears as a network adapter and seems to have good network drop recovery characteristics. Verizon also uses Venturi accelerator software for compressing images (and text, I think) when browsing. I've found it to be good.

[This message has been edited by lensman (edited 09-02-2003).]
Old Sep 2, 2003, 10:26 pm

I use Verizon's mobile office express kit ( $70.00 for the cable and software, I think) with my Kyocera 2235. Works fine using my dialup account (Outlook only, it's REAL slow at 14K-28K).

I thought Verizon's proprietary mobile network was a little spendy, but with T-Mobile pulling their prepaid 300 minute hi speed wireless plan, I may go that route.
Old Sep 3, 2003, 6:05 pm

Someone please explain why you would go to all the trouble of getting a PCMCIA card to connect to GPRS when all you need to do is point your cellphone at your infrared port, configure it as a modem (and in AT&Ts case dial *99# to connect).. Cost not one red cent...
Europeans even have the advantage of using the phones as regular modems (Something AT&T doesnt allow, so they can get you on GPRS usage fees)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.