Search

Film and X-rays

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2003, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Film and X-rays

OK - so I'm a Luddite.

I'll be carrying a small 35mm camera I've had for a few years while travelling in the UK and France. I've heard rumors that anything under 400 speed is probably safe. Does that mean indefinitely or that it's safe for one trip through the machine?

In the past I've handed the TSA guy the camera and film for hand checking - does that protect me? Do they still do that?

Another option is to have the film developed en route - do they have 1-hour photo stores over there (with or without Robin Williams)?

Or should I just take a roll or two and buy more there as I need it?

Ayhow - what's the current situation for carrying film around Europe?

Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 10:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
From the TSA site below. There are 1 hour places overseas, tons of them, and as an added bonus the standard size print is larger then ours is.

Film
WARNING: Equipment used for screening checked baggage will damage your undeveloped film.

Traveling with Film

Never place film in your checked baggage.
Place film in your carry-on baggage* or request a hand inspection.

*Carry-on screening equipment might also damage film if the film passes through more than 5 times.

None of the screening equipment - neither the machines used for checked baggage nor those used for carry-on baggage - will affect digital camera images or film that has already been processed, slides, videos, photo compact discs, or picture discs.

General use film*

You should remove all film from your checked baggage and place it in your carry-on baggage. The X-ray machine that screens your carry-on baggage at the passenger security checkpoint will not affect undeveloped film under ASA/ISO 800.

If the same role of film is exposed to X-ray inspections more than 5 times before it is developed, however, damage may occur. Protect your film by requesting a hand-inspection for your film if it has already passed through the carry-on baggage screening equipment (X-ray) more than 5 times.

TIP: Remember the 5x X-ray limit for your carry-on.

TIP: You may request a hand-inspection of any undeveloped film.

Specialty film*

(film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher and typically used by professionals)

At the passenger security checkpoint, you should remove the following types of film from your carry-on baggage and ask for a hand inspection:

Film with an ASA/ISO 800 or higher
Highly sensitive X-ray or scientific films
Film of any speed which is subjected to X-ray surveillance more than 5 times (the effect of X-ray screening is cumulative)
Film that is or will be underexposed
Film that you intend to "push process"
Sheet film
Large format film
Medical film
Scientific film
Motion picture film
Professional grade film

Other Tips and Precautions

If you plan to request a hand inspection of your film, you should consider carrying your film in clear canisters, or taking the film out of solid colored canisters and putting it into clear plastic bags, to expedite the screening process.
If you are going to be traveling through multiple X-ray examinations with the same rolls of undeveloped film, you may want to request a hand-inspection of your film. However, non-U.S. airports may not honor this request.
If you plan to hand-carry undeveloped film on an airplane at an international airport, contact the airport security office at that airport to request a manual inspection.
Consider having your exposed film processed locally before passing through airport security on your return trip.
We recommend that you do not place your film in lead-lined bags since the lead bag will have to be hand-inspected. If you have concerns about the impact of the X-ray machine on your undeveloped film, you can request a hand inspection.
You may still consider bringing a lead-lined bag if you are traveling through airports in other countries as their policies may vary. Check with your airline or travel agent for more information on foreign airports.

* This guidance was developed in cooperation with the International Imaging Industry Association (I3A).

Old Aug 25, 2003, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2003, 4:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver
IIRC, the overseas checkin areas may not necessarily provide for hand inspection of cameras and film. So that would help the argument in favor of developing your film over there (if you have time).
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Overseas is definitely not guaranteed for hand inspection. When I was in Russia last year I asked for hand inspection & they said no, so I just had to hope that my film would be ok (it was). Best thing is to put it in carryon; the new stronger systems for checked baggage definitely will ruin the film.

------------------
Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.