Wiki Posts
Search

Dumb, low-tech questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dumb, low-tech questions

1.In the UK, standard household current is 230V/50 Hz. They have funny power connectors, too. Many places advertise "shaver points". I assume these are US-style outlets that will supply 115 volts (50 HZ?)with enough power to run a shaver. Maybe a dozen watts or so. Is this correct?

2. Given the above, if I were to plug in a 1500 watt hairdryer in the "shaver points". all hell would probably break loose. What does one do about hair dryers, if they are not provided? I might not mind carrying adapter plugs, but I'm not going to schlepp a transformer around the world with me.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Buy a dual volatage travel hair dryer

http://www.brookstone.com/shop/produ...s=hair%20dryer

or

Let your hair air dry
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
I wouldn't use the shaver points for anything but a shaver. I once had a Nokia phone charger die from this point (it was a 100V-250V, but something is not good with some of these hotel power points)

A dual voltage hair dryer as suggested is your best bet.
Old Aug 19, 2003, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Get dual volatge appliances for when you travel. Hair dryer, iron, battery charger, cell phone chargers, just make sure anything you buy to travel with is dual volatge, and carry a converter with you.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:21 am

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
The shaver points, I believe, put out VERY low current. My cellphone charger fried a shavepoint in Hong Kong to the point where it shut down...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't speak to "shaver points", but cheap voltage "converters" clip the input power using diodes. This is generally OK for resistive appliances like hairdryers but very bad for modern electronics.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kanebear:
The shaver points, I believe, put out VERY low current. My cellphone charger fried a shavepoint in Hong Kong to the point where it shut down... </font>
Your cellphone shut down Hong Kong? What does it run on?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:36 am

What kind of adapter should I get to run my laptop? It's brand new, and I've been told it's dual voltage, but that I still need a plug adapter...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:55 am

Buster the plug adapter you need depends on where you're going and what shape plugs will be there. In most cases a basic set that you can buy at Target, Staples, or Radio Shack will cover your needs.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Buster what you need is a travel plug NOT a conveter. Don't let someone sell you a convertor... All notebook power supplies are dual voltage these days.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for reminding me - will pull out the travel plug now for my trip to Ams!

Depending on where you're staying, a lot of places have hairdryers so you don't need to bring one. But if you do, a dual voltage one (obtainable at any store) plus travel plug & you're ok.

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 08-26-2003).]
Old Aug 26, 2003, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Also see:

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.