Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$14000 Cell Phone

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2003, 5:58 am
Original Poster

$14000 Cell Phone

I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this. I was in Harrods' Knightsbridge store last week and happened to be in the watch department and spotted a number of incredibly expensive cell phones with the most epensive one being 8700 pounds or about $14000. Obviously they had gold and diamond inlay, but the salesperson implied that their technology was the big factor in the high price. Does anyone on FT own one of these babies or at least know what is the big factor in the pricing of high end cell phones?
By the way, I wasn't even tempted.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 7:04 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
I'd guess they were Vertu mobiles .. sorry instruments! .. www.vertu.com

The insides is a Nokia GSM module (88xx series?) but "Vertu also has a highly sensitive antenna and a hi-fidelity audio system for superior sound quality" ..
Old Jun 22, 2003, 9:39 am

Why stop there? On the Vertu web site, you can order the Platinum version for a mere $21,000 USD.

I'm sorry, but at that price, it should come with an assistant that makes the calls for you.

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
BizTrip
www.biztrip.com
A site for travelers by a traveler with 20+ years experience
Please visit my site and let me know what you think.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by businesstraveler:

I'm sorry, but at that price, it should come with an assistant that makes the calls for you.

</font>
It does .. a one touch button to summon the conciege service ;-) for which I presume a fair bit of the phones cost is attributed to.

Old Jun 22, 2003, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by businesstraveler:
Why stop there? On the Vertu web site, you can order the Platinum version for a mere $21,000 USD.

</font>
I don't agree. The Vertu phones are simply high end devices, they don't make that many and so the price is high. There are people here on FT that actually have one.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Selfridges also has a Vertu display out on one of there window fronts...
Old May 18, 2004, 9:28 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
How reliable are they?

Given that many of the Nokias I have seen started to develop illnesses after three-four years, will the same happen to Vertus?
AFAIK Vertus are made by Nokia, right?

Any owners here care to share?
Thanks.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StarG
Given that many of the Nokias I have seen started to develop illnesses after three-four years, will the same happen to Vertus?
AFAIK Vertus are made by Nokia, right?

Any owners here care to share?
Thanks.
The insides are designed by Nokia Engineers and are produced on a seperate production line. You will NOT experience the same problems with a Vertu as with a Nokia. They also use much better parts and most of the assembly is done by hand.
Old May 18, 2004, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I just saw a bunch of these in LA

I was pretty surprised to see about 10 in the window of a jewelry and watch boutique in the Century City mall, and THEN again on Montana avenue.

They had platinum, solid gold, titanium and a couple of acrylic or something. I couldn't believe that these stores were comfortable enough putting 50K in phone inventory on their books!!
Only in LA
Old May 18, 2004, 10:30 am

Programs: SQ TPP28, CX DM, DL P, GA CB, WOH LGLOB, HH D, MB G, Hertz P
Thanks for the reply ScottC.
Their new lower priced Ascent collection looks nice & have better display than the Signature collection.
However, Ascent has even more 'delay' between punching numbers and numbers turning up on displays.
Can't really tell the difference between the Platinum Signature and White Gold Signature.
Old May 18, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. They want ~$5000 for a dualband phone with a B&W display, no GPRS, and weighing almost 200gr?

I realize there are people who always have to have the most expensive everything, but I would expect them to want it not to suck at the same time.
Old May 18, 2004, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alanw
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. They want ~$5000 for a dualband phone with a B&W display, no GPRS, and weighing almost 200gr?

I realize there are people who always have to have the most expensive everything, but I would expect them to want it not to suck at the same time.
Some people pay $12000 for an F ticket and only get a larger seat and more booze, it's all about status
Old May 18, 2004, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by alanw

I went the Virtus URL because I couldn't believe this. I'm amazed, but shouldn't be. After all ....

1. the average IQ is 100
2. W is the president of the US

These phones are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Maybe the customers think platinum improves RF performance, or maybe it's the $1000+ optional case. Item #1 explains a lot, including item #2.
Old May 19, 2004, 1:39 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ScottC
There are people here on FT that actually have one.
Handles please.....?
Old May 19, 2004, 1:47 am
skye

My hubby happens to own one of those, it's the gold one. We were invited to go to the grand opening when the phones were first released because of AE centurion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.