Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hi-Speed Internet Access in Hotel Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2001, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi-Speed Internet Access in Hotel Rooms

I'm doing research on high speed internet access in hotel rooms.

Business travelers:

- Do most hotels you stay at have it? Where & How much did they charge?
- Do you ask for it when you make reservations?
- Have you used high speed internet access in hotel business centers? Where and how much do they charge?
- Have you gone to off site locations to get high speed access? If so, where and how much did they charge?

You may also email me directly with comments at [email protected]. Thanks

------------------
Michael Steinberg
Editor
Business-Trip.com
www.business-trip.com

[This message has been edited by businesstraveler (edited 08-20-2001).]
Old Aug 21, 2001, 12:07 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
businesstraveler, welcome to FT As I'm sure that you have already seen, a lot of us really crank out the business miles. Most of my travel is internation between the US and Asia, and most of the rest is intra-Asia. What remains is Asian domestic (mainly China, Japan, Korea and Thailand) and some Asia-Europe and US-Europe. I try to avoid US domestic like the plague, and will use workarounds like tele/video-cons, sending surrogates, etc.

To answer your questions:
  • Do most hotels you stay at have it? Where & How much did they charge? No. I tend to stay in a number of east-Asian hotels that advertise high-speed connections, but tend to offer common dial-up (maybe 40-50kbps if lucky).
  • Do you ask for it when you make reservations? No.
  • Have you used high speed internet access in hotel business centers? Where and how much do they charge? No.
  • Have you gone to off site locations to get high speed access? If so, where and how much did they charge? Yes, but it is my business facilities in east/southeast Asia and not available to the public.

FWIW, although IMO you posted your question in the correct forum, you will get few responses here as this well of the beaten FT path. I'm not sure what to suggest as an alternate though (TravelBuzz! perhaps?) as FT management has recently clamped down very hard on so-called off-topic topics.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 1:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by businesstraveler:

- Do most hotels you stay at have it? Where & How much did they charge?
</font>
I've found high speed internet access at most Hiltons and W hotels. Westins, Sheratons and Doubletree are hit and miss (more likely a hit in big cities). It is usually $9.95 for a 24 hour period which runs from noon to noon the next day. I was surprised to find that the connection was free at the Sheraton Clearwater Beach, FL.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">- Do you ask for it when you make reservations?</font>
No, it's just in the room.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">- Have you used high speed internet access in hotel business centers? Where and how much do they charge?</font>
I'ved used computers with high speed internet access in business centers, but have not hooked up my laptop to one. It was about $15 per half hour for the internet access.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">- Have you gone to off site locations to get high speed access? If so, where and how much did they charge?</font>
Rented at Kinko's once. It was about $15-20 per hour I think.

[This message has been edited by TropicalFlyer (edited 08-21-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.