Community
Wiki Posts
Search

note book computer security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2001, 6:13 am
Original Poster

note book computer security

i am looking for several notebook computer security devices. any input would be helpful.

in particular, i would like at least one software based that would track a stolen notebook if it connected to the internet and a hardware device such as a cable.

any thoughts or input on these or other items i may have overlooked?
Old Jul 17, 2001, 9:52 am

Walt Mossberg at the Wall Street Journal recently recommended http://www.solagent.com/

I haven't tried it yet, but am thinking about it.

You can read his column on it at http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20010621.html

------------------
Who is John Galt?
------------------
Old Jul 17, 2001, 10:42 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Please also see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000482.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/000253.html
Old Jul 17, 2001, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by THX1138:
i am looking for several notebook computer security devices. any input would be helpful.

in particular, i would like at least one software based that would track a stolen notebook if it connected to the internet and a hardware device such as a cable.

any thoughts or input on these or other items i may have overlooked?
</font>
Tehre are a variety of steel cables available to protect the machine by attaching them to something. I don't have much faith in the software based solutions, probably because I'm in IT, should I ever steal a laptop the first thing I will do is toss out the hard drive and put in a bigger one for a couple hundred dollars just in case there was some protetion installed. The cable locks go for about $40.

There are also separation alarms, usually used for kids, that beeps when you and your laptop get more then some distance from each other. Those work reall well at the airports and such.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 6:27 am
Original Poster

this is going to be for my daughter in college. i am also in 'IT' and have little faith in software, but just the same, i want to protect the investment and her work.
Old Jul 18, 2001, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I bought a cable for my son to use on his laptop in college. I think the real issue here is going to be- will they use it

Edited to add- at my sons college they have an intranet - at the beginning of the year IT must come set up you account and they register the serial number and IP address

[This message has been edited by jan_az (edited 07-18-2001).]
Old Jul 19, 2001, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
FWIW, I've been using the Defcon 1 from Targus for over two and half years. A nice feature is that in addition to the laptop, it can also be used to secure unattended luggage, briefcases and the like in hotel rooms, meeting venues, etc. It is amazing how much respect is shown by the maids and other personnel after getting near the device.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.