Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2001, 7:51 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

3G Threatens To Unravel Your Wireless World

3G Threatens To Unravel Your Wireless World

"Hold on to your cell phones, folks.

That wireless device in your hand is about to be rendered obsolete by technology you never asked for. It's called 3G - shorthand for third-generation mobile communications technology - and so far it's a disaster that's leaving customers reaching for their old analog phones.

If 3G happens like it's supposed to, then it will almost certainly join a list of other so-called innovations that frequent travelers love to hate, such as sub-notebooks, high-speed Internet connections at hotels and lithium-ion batteries.

Don't get me wrong - like the just-mentioned technology, the idea behind 3G is as futuristic as it is fascinating. It promises connection speeds of up to 384 Kbps when a device is stationery or moving at pedestrian speed, 128 Kbps in a car, and 2 Mbps in fixed applications. 3G will also work over wireless air interfaces such as GSM, TDMA, and CDMA - in other words, it will be compatible with most cellular networks."

http://misc.biztravel.com/CPageUtil_...ffiliation=BT3
Old Jul 17, 2001, 8:39 pm

Hi Doc
Well, I think you're right in being a bit pessimistic about 3G, since the tech world sort of blew the consumer away when they promised broadband for the world, and still have yet to deliver. But, before we get to 3G, look for 2.5G by the end of this year, possibly next spring from Sprint. 2.5G is a stepping stone to this next level of wireless service, which today for me is not something I want to pay for-max speeds of 19.2, B&W screens, no graphics, etc. This is not the web I want on my wireless device.
SFOPIT
Old Jul 19, 2001, 5:30 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thanks, but it is actually to Chris Elliotts' credit!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.