Wiki Posts
Search

Portable DVD player

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2001 | 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Air, American Airlines, SWA RapidRewards
Portable DVD player

Since I fly coach most of the time (when I cant talk my way into a FC upgrade when bumping) I bought a Pioneer Portable DVD player. This is SUCH a nice thing to have on flights now, in combo with my Sony Headphones. Usually hit the rental store before leaving town and rent 2-3 movies before my flight.

Makes the trip so much quicker, and I dont have to listen to all the noise in the cabin.

Go for the Pioneer, it has the largest screen at 7", and the picture quality is amazing.
Old Jul 10, 2001 | 2:56 am

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
I've been thinking about getting a standalone DVD player, but have a hard time justifying it as I usually have my laptop (built-in DVD) with me, though it is a large unit, and I am usually too lazy to fire it up enroute. A smaller dedicated DVD would be nice, but would also add to the bulk. Any thoughts on this? Any drawbacks to the 7" Pioneer unit?
Old Jul 11, 2001 | 6:58 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I picked up one of the 5.whatever Aiwa uints on Ebay (it was a new one) back in the beginning of the year, and I like it. It's much smaller then a laptop, and it's possible to watch it on a plane and eat your meal at the same time. (helps if the seat next to you is empty so you can steal some of their tray space).

While I think the screen on a laptop would be better, the unit is smaller. Battery life sucks, I get probably just over two hours before it has to be charged again, you quickly learn where all the outlets are while waiting for connections.

I wouldn't give it up, it really helps to pass the time, I highly recommend getting one. As a bonus, you can attach it to your TV in the hotel room and finish off the movie.
Old Jul 12, 2001 | 12:30 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
I have the 7-inch Panasonic model and I love it. I usually have two carry-ons and when I bring this DVD player along, the notebook stays in its case throughout the entire flight. Size and weight is excellent as compared to a notebook. Battery life is about 4 hours, good enough for 2 movies. I use it in conjunction with a Sony NC-10 noise cancelling headphone (5 stars) and Netflix subscription (2 stars; has been going downhill service-wise).
Old Jul 12, 2001 | 7:04 pm

Some time ago I posted on FT about the deal from Costco for the Panasonic 5.5" unit.

This works out to $299 + tax, + S&H, after rebates.

Costco price:
$499
http://www.costco.com/product.asp?ca...1&log=&navtop=

Less $100 Costco rebate
Less $100 Panasonic rebate:
http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el..._100rebate.asp

I just called a friend of mine who I had told about the offer, and he said he received both the rebates.
His total price was around $347 for the unit.

Offer is good through the end of July.

5.5" may be small, but the price is right!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.