Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Palm combo Cell Phone

Palm combo Cell Phone

Old Jul 11, 2001, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Palm combo Cell Phone

I have been thinking of purchasing one. Does anyone have one? The only drawback I see is the larger size?
Old Jul 11, 2001, 7:46 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I looked at it a while ago, and I thought the size was way too big, but still thought it may be cool. At the time I was thinking about leaving Sprint (and I did later) so I passed on it, but I was speaking with somebody next to me on the train this week who had one and he says it's too big to easily carry around. and while it's about the same as the palm and telephone previously were together, you usually don't carry both in the same pocket.

[This message has been edited by cordelli (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old Jul 12, 2001, 12:07 am

relevant for FF'ers: you may have trouble getting permission to use it in-flight.

other than that, i played with one at a store the other day, and it just felt flimsy.
Old Jul 13, 2001, 11:20 am

pynchonesque,

You can use the Palm functionality with the phone clearly off, so I doubt you'll have a problem with in flight usage (I've been questioned by FAs twice; both times they were satisfied that the phone was off).

On the positive side, it's great having integrated functionality. Need to call anyone in your Palm? Simply look them up and the phone will dial for you. It certainly eliminates the need to carry a phone and a Pilot, and you can use the Pilot stand-alone if you're out of cell coverage (or in the air). There is also a thumb dial on the left of the phone that accesses a well-designed menu system.

On the negative side, it is definitely larger: I'm estimating 2" longer and 3X thicker, although 1" less wide (compared to a Palm Vx). Screen quality is good, but isn't a match of the Palm (although I think the backlighting is actually better). And Sprint's coverage is definitley spotty around New York and Westchester.

If you have large hands, and therefore don't want the super-small phones, it isn't much larger than a Nokia 6100 series.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.