Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can one bring commercial satellite communicators into UAE, Saudi Arabia, or Colombia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can one bring commercial satellite communicators into UAE, Saudi Arabia, or Colombia?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2024, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Hello fellow FlyerTalkers,

Does anyone know if one can bring commercially available satellite communicators (e.g. Garmin InReach mini) into UAE, Saudi Arabia or Colombia?

i searched the net for information but other than the obvious countries (e.g. Cuba, North Korea, Syria, etc.) I am unable to find specific information on UAE, Saudi Arabia or Colombia.

Thanks in advance.

CaptainAV
Old Feb 24, 2024, 4:32 pm

Check the satellite companies Thuraya, Globalstar, Inmarsat for the sevice options then pick the device. The satellite company has to be authorized in the country for the service to be legal.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. So in short I cannot bring my own device with an existing plan?
CaptainAV
Old Feb 25, 2024, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by CaptainAV
Thank you. So in short I cannot bring my own device with an existing plan?
CaptainAV

That’s not what I said. Select an authorized provider for the country then select the device. You are selecting the device without knowing if the service provider is authorized or even has coverage.

A North American satellite provider doesn’t necessarily have coverage in the Middle East or South America. There are satellite providers who do not provide coverage for North America.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 3:52 am

When I used to live in Dubai, my Etisilat SIM would run on Thuraya out of the box and not at a Sheik's ransom. You could rent or borrow a satellite set and just pop your SIM in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.