Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3-prong headphone adapter

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Question 3-prong headphone adapter

I have noticed that in business class on some airlines (Lufthansa and Finnair, specifically), the headphone jack has 3 holes. This set-up makes it impossible for me to use my own headphones (I have Shure noise-reducing earbuds that I really enjoy). Anybody know if there's a 3-prong adapter available somewhere? I have a 2-prong adapter that has served me well in the past.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by lookbackatit
I have noticed that in business class on some airlines (Lufthansa and Finnair, specifically), the headphone jack has 3 holes. This set-up makes it impossible for me to use my own headphones (I have Shure noise-reducing earbuds that I really enjoy). Anybody know if there's a 3-prong adapter available somewhere? I have a 2-prong adapter that has served me well in the past.

I just travelled on China Airlines premium economy and while regular economy uses the standard 2 prong, the Airbus doesn't. Perhaps it's a way of deterring people from taking the headphones. The standard Bose 3.5 mm to 2 prong adapter doesn't work in the console. The audio on China Airlines I found is horrible and terribly muffled.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by lookbackatit

Is this a three pronged job with a triangle configuration and the top one smaller than the other two? You can see a picture on this review 5th picture down. If so the top hole in the socket looks like it is for powering the Noise Cancelling in the airline supplied headphones. This also prevents the headphones from working properly off the aircraft so a disincentive to pinch them. The other two holes are normally spaced a set distance apart and carry the left and right of the stereo signal. What you then need is a dual mono adapter to combine the L&R signals into your own headphone cable. This was the first one that popped up on Amazon
Amazon Amazon
many others are available and miy one came free with my headphones.
_kurt likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.