Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dual SIM’s

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
The critical part here really is that Apple has made it really easy to use two SIMs concurrently, and like with most other things Apple, "it just works"
Dual SIM also "just works" on my 2018 Google phone. Let's not get our minds blown by technology that was here 4 years ago.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by nerd
Dual SIM also "just works" on my 2018 Google phone. Let's not get our minds blown by technology that was here 4 years ago.
Um, my Nokia from 2010 says hi….
(Granted, limited data usage.)

To be fair, iPhones did get dual sim capabilities with the XS in 2018 too. Still, it is just not used all that much, guess people just feel better with two phones (or the eSIM thing makes things difficult).
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:39 am

Polytonic,

I thought Google Fi international data roaming rates are $10 per Gb, not the $1 you posted?

"Alternately, Google Fi plans have unlimited data with uncapped speeds worldwide either $70/mo. fixed or $1/GB pay as you go"

Typo?

Also, I was in Mexico recently and seem to recall getting a 4G indicator and speeds while using my T-Mobile services.

Edited to add: I found this on their website for clarification:

" Mobile Without Borders gives you unlimited calling and texting between the US, Mexico, and Canada.
  • Most plans offer a 5GB data allotment (or the max of your plan’s data allotment, whichever comes first) that includes both phone and tethering data usage.
  • T-Mobile customers never pay data overages – even if you manage to use up your 4G LTE data, you automatically stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans and 256kbps for ONE Plus)."

Last edited by draver; Feb 4, 2022 at 6:29 am
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by nerd
Not really.

Your 2018 Google pixel (3 or 3 xl) has physical sim & esim, but you can only use one at a time, other is completely disabled https://support.google.com/pixelphon...-ability?hl=en

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/20...roid-10-google

your 2018 Samsung might have dual sim dual standby

Only pixel 3a onwards had dual sim dual standby. The info describe above for iPhone is dual volte, not exactly sure when pixel started to support it (second line using WiFi calling over the data connection of first line, so you can actually have calls on both sims at the same time)

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 4, 2022 at 9:49 am
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't see any option for Google Fi international roaming, just a voice/text/data package that is far more expensive than most TMO and ATT plans
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by draver
Polytonic,

I thought Google Fi international data roaming rates are $10 per Gb, not the $1 you posted?

"Alternately, Google Fi plans have unlimited data with uncapped speeds worldwide either $70/mo. fixed or $1/GB pay as you go"

Typo?

Also, I was in Mexico recently and seem to recall getting a 4G indicator and speeds while using my T-Mobile services.

Edited to add: I found this on their website for clarification:

" Mobile Without Borders gives you unlimited calling and texting between the US, Mexico, and Canada.
  • Most plans offer a 5GB data allotment (or the max of your plan’s data allotment, whichever comes first) that includes both phone and tethering data usage.
  • T-Mobile customers never pay data overages – even if you manage to use up your 4G LTE data, you automatically stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans and 256kbps for ONE Plus)."
Yes, you're right, I missed a zero in there. Whoops! Fixed, haha. Google Fi is indeed $10/GB. I'm on the metered plan, and if I go abroad, I switch to Unlimited for that month.

Functionally speaking, in Canada/Mexico you'll get LTE data speeds if you're on the Magenta or Magenta Max plans, and then unlimited 2G (128kbps) everywhere else in the world. You can pay a bit more to upgrade (one or more lines) to Magenta Max to double the international data rate.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't see any option for Google Fi international roaming, just a voice/text/data package that is far more expensive than most TMO and ATT plans
Google Fi doesn't make the distinction between "domestic" and "international" when billing provided you spend more time in the US than you do outside the US (e.g. if you spend 3 months in Thailand, they'll probably cut you off). It's just "pay for whatever you use, wherever you use it" -- and the speeds are uncapped internationally. International SMS/iMessage texts are free. Voice calls are paid, as with any other mobile plan, but if you're on Google Fi and ex-USA, chances are you're calling someone via WhatsApp or WeChat or some other app (i.e. over data). Data is either pay as you go, or if you use >4GB/mo. then consider going for the $70/mo. unlimited plan (you can also freely switch between plans, so you can go unlimited for a month if you're traveling a lot, then drop down to a metered connection when you're back in the US).

It is more expensive relative to your average T-Mobile plan which is why I led with the "buy local SIM card and stick it in the physical slot" option first as it's strictly better value for money (e.g. $5 for 5GB in Asia?). If you're looking for convenience, Google Fi is tough to beat for international use as data speeds aren't kneecapped, and I tend to use a lot more data abroad than I do locally (i.e. less access to Wi-Fi, more Maps/Yelp/etc. usage). Sometimes it's nice just getting off the plane and "it just works" rather than having to hunt down a SIM card vendor, swap the card out, etc.

As a secondary line, Google Fi taxes and fees come out to ~$7.39, so my fixed cost is $27.39/mo. plus $10/GB (functionally a few cents in the US as Google Fi uses T-Mobile towers) and I bump this up to Unlimited as-needed (~$80 all-in for just that month). In comparison, a T-Mobile Essentials single line would run you $60/mo. all in, and you'd have capped international data speeds (or bump it up to Magenta/Magenta Max for that month, ~$85? to get 256kbps download abroad). It's still cheaper to buy local SIM cards of course, but I do like having a real iMessage-enabled cell number attached to a Google Fi SIM that I don't have to swap in and out when I get off the plane.
bukzin likes this.

Last edited by Polytonic; Feb 4, 2022 at 3:23 pm
Old Feb 4, 2022, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
As a secondary line, Google Fi taxes and fees come out to ~$7.39, so my fixed cost is $27.39/mo.
Are you sure your service address isn't somewhere in Nevada? Because then taxes and fees are as low as $3.04.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 6:31 pm

Polytonic,

Your statement of:

"Functionally speaking, in Canada/Mexico you'll get LTE data speeds if you're on the Magenta or Magenta Max plans, and then unlimited 2G (128kbps) everywhere else in the world. You can pay a bit more to upgrade (one or more lines) to Magenta Max to double the international data rate."

Is not too accurate since I am on a TM ONE Plan and it has the ONE Plus Promo included for 256kbps international data roaming on all 12 of my lines. If I'm looking for convenience I would seriously consider an after market data esim like Airalo instead of the high priced Google Fi. It is just as easy to use and set up with IMS service with a dual sim phone and keeps my main voice line active while roaming for free calls to and from the US. I can get 5Gb all over Europe @ $20 good for 30 days. Many on this forum have used and recommend Airalo, especially compared to Fi. It has been discussed in the past few pages. I'm pretty surprised you would still consider Fi as a viable alternative. Even T-Mobiles 30 day Global Plus Plan gives 3 times the data (15Gb) and unlimited free calling with 5Gb of tether for $50.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:28 pm

Polytonic,

Your statement of:

"Functionally speaking, in Canada/Mexico you'll get LTE data speeds if you're on the Magenta or Magenta Max plans, and then unlimited 2G (128kbps) everywhere else in the world. You can pay a bit more to upgrade (one or more lines) to Magenta Max to double the international data rate."

Is not too accurate since I am on a TM ONE Plan and it has the ONE Plus Promo included for 256kbps international data roaming on all 12 of my lines. If I'm looking for convenience I would seriously consider an after market data esim like Airalo instead of the high priced Google Fi. It is just as easy to use and set up with IMS service with a dual sim phone and keeps my main voice line active while roaming for free calls to and from the US. I can get 5Gb all over Europe @ $20 good for 30 days. Many on this forum have used and recommend Airalo, especially compared to Fi. It has been discussed in the past few pages. I'm pretty surprised you would still consider Fi as a viable alternative. Even T-Mobiles 30 day Global Plus Plan gives 3 times the data (15Gb) and unlimited free calling with 5Gb of tether for $50.
Sure, the T-Mobile ONE plan is pretty good if you have access to it. I don't think it's available to new customers though? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm less trying to debate the merits of any one particular plan and more just trying to say that there are a lot of great options out there, and you need to figure out which one works the best for your use case. 256kbps is very slow to me, but if it works for you, great!

Airalo is a good option as well, though I don't believe it comes with a phone number? I recall the original line of inquiry followed the "how do two SIMs work in practice on phones" as this is a thread about Dual SIM, and not "what's the best international roaming cell plan" ...

Google Fi is cost effective for me and my use case. I'm sure there are cheaper plans or plans that provide more (fixed amounts of) data. I care about having uncapped data speeds, data-only SIMs, having a real iMessage-enabled phone number, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:35 am

Well, if you have a dual sim phone you don't really need a data service like Fi because of the IMS feature Apple built in to their iOS. Your main voice line works internationally to and from the US via the simulated WiFi calling on the data sim, 24/7. The Data Pass on T-Mobile is cost effective in comparison with phone service and data pricing.

I get that you like Fi and it has it's place, but I think you left out some critical pros & cons for comparison. The contributing members here seem to have moved away from Fi as more convenient, less expensive alternatives have become available. As an example, a few weeks ago I bought a 7Gb, 360 day, Global data service on sale for $40 from Flexiroam. I probably won't even activate it for a few months and then use it for a few trips to Europe and Asia. The flexibility of esim gives us so many more options. But you are still able to supplement your Fi service with roaming esims if you choose, so you have these options also.

Now that we can all begin to resume our leisure travels, I'd expect to have more feedback and comments about cellular roaming services.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:11 pm

Well, if you have a dual sim phone you don't really need a data service like Fi because of the IMS feature Apple built in to their iOS. Your main voice line works internationally to and from the US via the simulated WiFi calling on the data sim, 24/7. The Data Pass on T-Mobile is cost effective in comparison with phone service and data pricing.
I have T-Mobile Magenta as the primary plan. I am aware I have unlimited international data. It's just very slow. I am aware of the Data Pass option. You are correct, it is more cost effective. I do not deny that in any way.

I get that you like Fi and it has it's place, but I think you left out some critical pros & cons for comparison. The contributing members here seem to have moved away from Fi as more convenient, less expensive alternatives have become available. As an example, a few weeks ago I bought a 7Gb, 360 day, Global data service on sale for $40 from Flexiroam. I probably won't even activate it for a few months and then use it for a few trips to Europe and Asia. The flexibility of esim gives us so many more options. But you are still able to supplement your Fi service with roaming esims if you choose, so you have these options also.

Now that we can all begin to resume our leisure travels, I'd expect to have more feedback and comments about cellular roaming services.
What exactly have I left out? I've already led with: yes, it's more expensive, yes, most users are better off with prepaid options, yes you won't have 5G on iPhones. Yes, Google Fi objectively sucks in most categories. I've admitted that. What am I missing?

What Google Fi offers me:
1) Real Phone Number
2) Data SIMs
3) Ease-of-Billing
4) Ease-of-Setup (i.e. no swapping)
5) Uncapped Data Speed

If I truly thought it was the best option for the original poster, I wouldn't have led with "you should buy a prepaid SIM" ... I thought I was being helpful by providing some additional context as to what I personally do and evidently that is not the case, so for that, I do apologize.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 6:10 pm

No need to apologize, but some misstatements caused me to post. You do not need to turn off LTE for the IMS function, T-Mobile is not only 3G in Canada & Mexico, $1/Gb, etc. We all are entitled to our favorites and a bit of promotion, but others see our comments and use them for guidance. An advantage Fi DOES have is the included roaming calls. Granted TM Data Pass does also, but you're already paying for Fi and it is convenient. I do see that Three UK simcard on Amazon currently has 4Gb, 30 day, Unlimited Calls/Texts for $17, but you'd have a UK phone number. There are probably lots more deals than I am aware of for travelers, and this forum is a good resource.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
No need to apologize, but some misstatements caused me to post. You do not need to turn off LTE for the IMS function, T-Mobile is not only 3G in Canada & Mexico, $1/Gb, etc. We all are entitled to our favorites and a bit of promotion, but others see our comments and use them for guidance. An advantage Fi DOES have is the included roaming calls. Granted TM Data Pass does also, but you're already paying for Fi and it is convenient. I do see that Three UK simcard on Amazon currently has 4Gb, 30 day, Unlimited Calls/Texts for $17, but you'd have a UK phone number. There are probably lots more deals than I am aware of for travelers, and this forum is a good resource.
Thank you and I see in your earlier post that you got a OnePlus Promo? Did you get the 9/9 Pro? If so what do you think of it?
Old Apr 3, 2022, 11:35 am

I am not familiar with 9/9 Pro. Please give me a description when you have a moment.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I am not familiar with 9/9 Pro. Please give me a description when you have a moment.
The Oneplus 9 has Hasselbad camera and 8GB Ram with 128GB storage. Wireless charging and of course dual SIM with 5 G. I love it. The Oneplus 9 Pro is a bit more expensive and I do not need all those bells and whistles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.