FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual SIM’s
Thread: Dual SIM’s
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:03 pm
Polytonic

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by draver
Polytonic,

I thought Google Fi international data roaming rates are $10 per Gb, not the $1 you posted?

"Alternately, Google Fi plans have unlimited data with uncapped speeds worldwide either $70/mo. fixed or $1/GB pay as you go"

Typo?

Also, I was in Mexico recently and seem to recall getting a 4G indicator and speeds while using my T-Mobile services.

Edited to add: I found this on their website for clarification:

" Mobile Without Borders gives you unlimited calling and texting between the US, Mexico, and Canada.
  • Most plans offer a 5GB data allotment (or the max of your plan’s data allotment, whichever comes first) that includes both phone and tethering data usage.
  • T-Mobile customers never pay data overages – even if you manage to use up your 4G LTE data, you automatically stay connected with unlimited data at Simple Global speeds (up to 128kbps for most plans and 256kbps for ONE Plus)."
Yes, you're right, I missed a zero in there. Whoops! Fixed, haha. Google Fi is indeed $10/GB. I'm on the metered plan, and if I go abroad, I switch to Unlimited for that month.

Functionally speaking, in Canada/Mexico you'll get LTE data speeds if you're on the Magenta or Magenta Max plans, and then unlimited 2G (128kbps) everywhere else in the world. You can pay a bit more to upgrade (one or more lines) to Magenta Max to double the international data rate.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don't see any option for Google Fi international roaming, just a voice/text/data package that is far more expensive than most TMO and ATT plans
Google Fi doesn't make the distinction between "domestic" and "international" when billing provided you spend more time in the US than you do outside the US (e.g. if you spend 3 months in Thailand, they'll probably cut you off). It's just "pay for whatever you use, wherever you use it" -- and the speeds are uncapped internationally. International SMS/iMessage texts are free. Voice calls are paid, as with any other mobile plan, but if you're on Google Fi and ex-USA, chances are you're calling someone via WhatsApp or WeChat or some other app (i.e. over data). Data is either pay as you go, or if you use >4GB/mo. then consider going for the $70/mo. unlimited plan (you can also freely switch between plans, so you can go unlimited for a month if you're traveling a lot, then drop down to a metered connection when you're back in the US).

It is more expensive relative to your average T-Mobile plan which is why I led with the "buy local SIM card and stick it in the physical slot" option first as it's strictly better value for money (e.g. $5 for 5GB in Asia?). If you're looking for convenience, Google Fi is tough to beat for international use as data speeds aren't kneecapped, and I tend to use a lot more data abroad than I do locally (i.e. less access to Wi-Fi, more Maps/Yelp/etc. usage). Sometimes it's nice just getting off the plane and "it just works" rather than having to hunt down a SIM card vendor, swap the card out, etc.

As a secondary line, Google Fi taxes and fees come out to ~$7.39, so my fixed cost is $27.39/mo. plus $10/GB (functionally a few cents in the US as Google Fi uses T-Mobile towers) and I bump this up to Unlimited as-needed (~$80 all-in for just that month). In comparison, a T-Mobile Essentials single line would run you $60/mo. all in, and you'd have capped international data speeds (or bump it up to Magenta/Magenta Max for that month, ~$85? to get 256kbps download abroad). It's still cheaper to buy local SIM cards of course, but I do like having a real iMessage-enabled cell number attached to a Google Fi SIM that I don't have to swap in and out when I get off the plane.

Last edited by Polytonic; Feb 4, 2022 at 3:23 pm