Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fire Stick Logs Into Hotel Wifi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2021, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Fire Stick Logs Into Hotel Wifi

Much to my surprise, the Fire Stick will show you the login screen from hotel wifi and let you log in.

Just used my home Fire Stick in a hotel and it worked perfectly.

The Fire Stick also allows you to run a VPN app (have used both Surfshark and Nord), so you can watch content from whatever country you wish.

Last edited by BigFlyer; Dec 28, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Old Dec 28, 2021, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
I've been carrying a Fire Stick for exactly this purpose for a few years - we also use Fire TV Cubes in the homes so I carry the same set up with me on the road as I use at home. Works great!
Old Dec 31, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I've also gotten this to work with Roku sticks. My phone will allow me to share my wifi connection through a hotspot so I can make just about anything work. Wife loves it when she can watch Discovery+ after I go to bed.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:17 pm

I use a Google Chromecast with a VPN. I stopped carrying the Roku stick after an app dispute which seem to be more frequent with Roku and Firestick.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGarza
I use a Google Chromecast with a VPN. I stopped carrying the Roku stick after an app dispute which seem to be more frequent with Roku and Firestick.
How does that work" Can you log into the hotel wifi with the Chromecast?

Also, what's an "app dispute"?
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
How does that work" Can you log into the hotel wifi with the Chromecast?

Also, what's an "app dispute"?
yes, I log into the hotel/Air BnB WiFi with Google Chromecast dongle.

An app dispute is when Firestick, Roku etc refuses to carry the app or removes the app for download. Roku & YouTube TV had a months long dispute for YTTV app which wasn’t available for new downloads but existing users could continue to use the app. Previous disputes were Firestick and Roku with the Peacock Network and HBO Max.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by TGarza
yes, I log into the hotel/Air BnB WiFi with Google Chromecast dongle.

An app dispute is when Firestick, Roku etc refuses to carry the app or removes the app for download. Roku & YouTube TV had a months long dispute for YTTV app which wasn’t available for new downloads but existing users could continue to use the app. Previous disputes were Firestick and Roku with the Peacock Network and HBO Max.
They all have these spats (negotiations) from time to time. Google (Youtube TV) just had one right before Christmas with Disney/ESPN.

I find Roku's spats to be far less frequent...probably because unlike most of the other (Amazon, Google, Apple) devices, they don't have their own content.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by HDQDD
They all have these spats (negotiations) from time to time. Google (Youtube TV) just had one right before Christmas with Disney/ESPN.

I find Roku's spats to be far less frequent...probably because unlike most of the other (Amazon, Google, Apple) devices, they don't have their own content.
Roku has had at least 4 spats which have lasted for months with content providers: YouTube TV, HBO Max, Peacock and Spectrum. HBO Max was at least 6 months.

ABC and YTTV spat lasted just over a day with YTTV giving all customers a $15 credit.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 7:54 pm

I've been using a pico or mini PC (mostly) myself (when I don't want to carry or use my laptop). Full blown Windows box that I can also store media on. My only beef is carrying a wireless keyboard/mouse (microsized) that are lousy. When flying, I use my portable monitor (that won't get crushed by the airplane seat in front of me) and gives me additional space to mess around with. Looking for a better KB/MS combo I can use that won't destroy my hands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.