Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Get iPad mini 6 now, or wait for 120Hz pro motion display in 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2021, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

Hi all,
I have the iPad mini 5 which is fine for what it offers me in my travels, mostly content watching and light browsing. Are you folks trading in your iPad mini now and getting the just-released mini 6? Or are you waiting for the rumored "mini pro" next year that supposedly will feature pro motion, which is what Apple calls 120Hz display refresh rate? (currently available only on 13 Pro/Max and the new MacBook Pros)

I suppose there's an argument to be made that there is no reason to buy another new device with a 60Hz refresh rate, since most will become 120Hz in the next few years... and yes, the difference is truly remarkable!

Edit: also, the iPad mini 6 unfortunately has a down-clocked A15 chip compared to the iPhone 13, and the iPad mini lacks mmWave 5G support (so it's sub-6GHz). So, two more strikes against it.

Last edited by ESpen36; Dec 5, 2021 at 9:54 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:29 am

I also have the Mini 5 Cellular and seriously considered the 6 but it’s not $600 worth of upgrade basically for a little larger screen. I have esim, dual sim, 7.9” vs.8.2” screen, no increase in screen brightness, etc. The value just isn’t there for me.
I also have a 2018 11” iPad Pro Cellular with the same features so I’m a little spoiled in that regard, but it is aging well also.

Edited to add: I just checked Swappa for iPad 11” Pro cellular 256Gb are available for $550-$600. That addition to your Mini 5 might be worth considering.
ESpen36 likes this.

Last edited by draver; Dec 6, 2021 at 4:35 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME with Minis, they get updated so rarely that I get one whenever it comes out. Waiting for the next one could take many years.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
I had a mini 2, mini 4, and mini 5, and recently got a mini 6. I find over time that I use my phone (XS) for many many things, and as I try to do more involved things on the mini (Luma Fusion, GarageBand) the screen is just a bit cramped.

If I were to reassess my purchase or had a chance for a re-do, I'd probably get the latest iPad Air instead of the Mini 6. The latter performs a lot better than the mini 5 and the screen and speakers are good, so it is a solid upgrade if you like the smaller form factor.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
If I had a mini 5 I wouldn't upgrade now, but I have a mini 2, which can't accept an iOS version advanced enough for many new apps. There are still dealers with new 5's in stock.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Thanks everyone!
Old Dec 8, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
If I were travelling or even leaving the house on a regular basis I would have already pulled the trigger - although the screen is disappointing for a device of that price.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 1:18 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
I used to have a mini for travel as well as everyday use including the gym.

Been on iPad Pro for the last 4-5 years, the 10.5-inch model.

Bigger and heavier but still easy to pack for travel and putting in a bag for most of the day.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2021, 12:30 am
Suspended

Seems like the mini is going to stay a 60Hz device, probably forever. So, if you don't mind, I will suggest getting a Pro device. These are more powerful, and much faster. The Pro devices have a massive battery life, around 12+ hours, maybe even more. But the Pro devices are really really expensive. They start at $1,000 or more. If you can afford that, then sure. Get a mini Pro. If you want to buy a mini Pro, then save up for it. Otherwise, I would advise getting a new iPad Pro and a nice MacBook. Get a 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro and get a 13 inch MacBook Pro. That would be a nice setup.
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by Dale Goslin
Seems like the mini is going to stay a 60Hz device, probably forever. So, if you don't mind, I will suggest getting a Pro device. These are more powerful, and much faster. The Pro devices have a massive battery life, around 12+ hours, maybe even more. But the Pro devices are really really expensive. They start at $1,000 or more. If you can afford that, then sure. Get a mini Pro. If you want to buy a mini Pro, then save up for it. Otherwise, I would advise getting a new iPad Pro and a nice MacBook. Get a 2018 12.9 inch iPad Pro and get a 13 inch MacBook Pro. That would be a nice setup.
I dont get what you're proposing here. Ipad pro is orders of magnitude more expensive than a mini. If the poster has a few more bucks to spend, surely the ipad air is the better buy?
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:15 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Well Apple is going to charge more for the Pro Motion.

Also it's rumored that they may be looking to secure OLED displays for iPads or use more of the mini LEDs.

Devices with those displays will always carry a big premium.
ESpen36 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.