Wiki Posts
Search

Device for Wifi without internet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Device for Wifi without internet

Can anyone provide me guidance on this request?

I want to use the Windows 11 "Your Phone" function, which links the user's PC and mobile phone via a shared Wifi connection.

Is there a device I can purchase that creates a Wifi connection that the "Your Phone" app can use, but that does not require an additional connection to an outside internet service?

In other words, I am looking to create this network: <PC - Wifi device - phone>

I don't want to have to add the outside internet connection that would connect to the Wifi device.

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What exactly are you trying to do?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:46 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Any travel router that has DCHP server should be fine for this. Something like a :-

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2
TGarza and Wilbur like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Any wireless router will do this, they don’t need to be connected to the internet to establish a wireless LAN… though I’m not quite following the use case and why you’re specifically requiring a disconnected config.

You may even be able to do it with just your PC, since your PC can act as a hotspot/router and create a wireless LAN… I’ve not done it in recent Windows versions but my fear is in the name of making it easy to use they dumbed it down by making you have one working connection you want to share with other devices… you used to just be able to spin up a Wi-Fi network from your PC. Maybe someone here knows more about that.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 2:22 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://connectify.me/ ?
Wilbur likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Any wireless router will do this, they don’t need to be connected to the internet to establish a wireless LAN… though I’m not quite following the use case and why you’re specifically requiring a disconnected config.

You may even be able to do it with just your PC, since your PC can act as a hotspot/router and create a wireless LAN… I’ve not done it in recent Windows versions but my fear is in the name of making it easy to use they dumbed it down by making you have one working connection you want to share with other devices… you used to just be able to spin up a Wi-Fi network from your PC. Maybe someone here knows more about that.
You have hit the nail on the head for my competence level.

Windows 11 does remove more of the Control Panel, so finding how or where to configure some of this (without resorting to the command prompt) is exactly what is challenging me.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
What exactly are you trying to do?
I use my phone to film young basketball players shooting motion on a delay (with VideoDelayInstantReplay), use "Your Phone" to capture the video on the PC, and project it to the big screen of the gym from my PC via HDMI cable. Then I coach them on their shot mechanics.

Unfortunately, the school's Wifi has a lot of safety/security configurations, and it isn't a stable connection for this setup.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Does the app record the videos in a standard video file format? It might be easier to just plug the phone into the computer via a USB cable and copy the video files off unless there’s a specific reason you’re trying to go wireless / Your Phone.

Or are you actually launching the VideoDelayInstantReplay app on your PC using Your Phone?

Last edited by javabytes; Jan 4, 2022 at 6:53 pm
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An ordinary wi-fi router should simply work. They'll hand out local addresses fine even if they don't have an uplink.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Does the app record the videos in a standard video file format? It might be easier to just plug the phone into the computer via a USB cable and copy the video files off unless there’s a specific reason you’re trying to go wireless / Your Phone.

Or are you actually launching the VideoDelayInstantReplay app on your PC using Your Phone?
The VDIR app captures the shot and then replays it with a delay on the phone. The PC is just a means to get it up to the big screen in the gym.

So let's say I set VDIR for a ten-second delay, this allows the player to take the shot, retrieve her ball and hear my comments (do this more, do this less, etc.) and then immediately see the shot replayed on the screen.

Then we take another shot, repeat. As a coaching / training tool, it is unparalleled in the ability to correct shot mechanics for young players very quickly, and I even have success repairing bad form in older players with it if they are patient enough.

I am doing some planning for the summer sessions, and I am considering using multiple phones for multiple, simultaneous shooters at different baskets if I can just get the Wifi problem solved.

Thank you for the feedback - time to buy a travel router, it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.