Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics before 10k ft

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2021, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Electronics before 10k ft

I have an iPad Pro with the magic keyboard. Is the flight attendant gonna make me wait till 10,000 feet to start watching videos on it?
Old Nov 27, 2021, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
YMMV, but generally if it has an attached keyboard, they treat it like a laptop.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:02 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by youranut
I have an iPad Pro with the magic keyboard. Is the flight attendant gonna make me wait till 10,000 feet to start watching videos on it?
Which country, which airline?

I've never had an issue the a laptop as soon as we're in the climb phase (a couple of minutes after take off).
Old Nov 27, 2021, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Which country, which airline?

I've never had an issue the a laptop as soon as we're in the climb phase (a couple of minutes after take off).
US on Southwest. I don’t have to use the keyboard, just hold it.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:49 pm

I usually start a show/movie as soon as I settle in and have the keyboard attached, only been asked once to detach it. Guess it depends on the FA. Just detach it when/if asked, no big deal.
Old Nov 27, 2021, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Just detach the keyboard and you won't have a problem. You can even watch it during taxi and takeoff.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K
You should be fine. It seems like if it can be slid into the seatback they'll let you keep it out of your bag. I think I recall hearing there was a weight limit of 2lbs which I have to think your tablet is below. Detaching the keyboard would almost certainly ensure it's okay. I have a small Lenovo laptop that weighs about 2.5lbs that I rarely am asked to stow and it's got a permanent keyboard. I'll often just throw it in the seatback when they are "hawking" just before leaving the gate then pull it out just to be sure.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Steve M
Just detach the keyboard and you won't have a problem. You can even watch it during taxi and takeoff.
This is your best bet.

Large electronics such as laptops are prohibited during critical phases of flight (below 10,000 feet) when the need for an evacuation is most likely (as slim as it may be). A large device could create a trip hazard or otherwise impede egress. This is the same reason they are not permitted in seatback pockets. I don't have the specific example but most rules like this are "written in blood," which means it has happened before.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.