Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

ATT International Day Pass - Tips and things not obvious...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Disclaimer: This info comes directly from the ATT customer service rep. I don't actually know it's true from first-hand experience.

1) ** Don’t make calls over WiFi when using international **Use a regular voice voice call. Else it’s possible you could be billed differently. (??)

Action: TURN OFF WIFI CALLING BEFORE TRAVELING INTERNATIONALLY

2) This is on the pop-up "fine print", but good to know

a) When my iPad uses international cellular data
If iPad is already added to ATT International Day Pass,
and IF I have already used my phone's International Day Pass in a 24 hour period (hence, already incurring the $10 / day fee)

Then, the iPad's International Day Pass fee for that day would be $5 / day.

b) The most # of ATT International Day Pass charges to any active line will be 10 per month.
So, maximum per line cost for ATT International Day Pass = 10 days * $10 / day = $100
After 10 days of charges in 1 month, the remaining days are free for each active line.

Conclusion: When possible, Try to begin and end international travel all within 1 billing cycle.

c) I have an unlimited data US-based ATT plan. Therefore, I will get unlimited data when I'm in Dubai.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:44 pm

WiFi calling warning is destination local calls which will be billed at international rates if over WiFi.

Taxes and fees were about 50% of the daily fee during our last use. My line was $10 and my wife’s line was $5.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Or just make FaceTime video or FaceTime audio calls while overseas. That will force the calls to go over WiFi data and not any cellular network that might get billed.
TGarza likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by MareLuce

Disclaimer: This info comes directly from the ATT customer service rep. I don't actually know it's true from first-hand experience.

1) ** Don’t make calls over WiFi when using international **Use a regular voice voice call. Else it’s possible you could be billed differently. (??)

Action: TURN OFF WIFI CALLING BEFORE TRAVELING INTERNATIONALLY
I don’t understand the above at all. When I’m overseas, I always use ATT WIFI calling when calling back to the U.S., whether from a hotel, friends houses, or airports. No extra charges or billing differences.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I don’t understand the above at all. When I’m overseas, I always use ATT WIFI calling when calling back to the U.S., whether from a hotel, friends houses, or airports. No extra charges or billing differences.
The warning is for international local calls using WiFi not calls back to the US. AT&T will charge for international local calls using WiFi as if the call was made from the US in addition to the day pass. That’s the customer service explanation I received.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 12:15 pm

All of that I know, but when this was quoted, “TURN OFF WIFI BEFORE TRAVELING INTERNATIONALLY”, that created confusion. It made no sense.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
All of that I know, but when this was quoted, “TURN OFF WIFI BEFORE TRAVELING INTERNATIONALLY”, that created confusion. It made no sense.

The original post was “turn off WiFi CALLING before traveling internationally” which is only relevant with a day pass to avoid being charged for an international call which will be billed separately from the day pass.
MareLuce likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TGarza
The original post was “turn off WiFi CALLING before traveling internationally” which is only relevant with a day pass to avoid being charged for an international call which will be billed separately from the day pass.
Thank you TGarza
FLYMSY
1) Don't feel bad; easy mistake to make. That one word makes a big difference.
2) Are you aware of how to turn off WiFi calling? (as opposed to : how to turn off WiFi?)
Old Nov 29, 2021, 5:35 am

Thank you TGarza
FLYMSY
2) Are you aware of how to turn off WiFi calling? (as opposed to : how to turn off WiFi?)

iPhone 12 settings, cellular, WiFi calling, toggle off

Samsung S21 Setting, connections, WiFi calling, toggle off
MareLuce likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:39 am

FLYMSY
You’re correct. And, most definitely, I know how to turn it off (and on).
MareLuce likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.