Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What's the best under-$500 over-the-head noise-blocking(not cancelling) headphones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best under-$500 over-the-head noise-blocking(not cancelling) headphones?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:57 am
Original Poster

What's the best under-$500 over-the-head headphones with these features for travel?

(1) wired only (no wireless capability of any kind)

(2) requires no power

(3) excellent noise-blocking(not noise cancelling)

(4) comfortable for someone with head size 26 1/4" inches (yes, big melon for a head)

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I can’t say 1 and 3 are generally sought-out features for travel headphones… but if wired / batteryless / passive noise isolation is what you’re after, I’d probably say Beyerdynamics DT 770 if the priority is the best headphones regardless of size, and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or AudioTechnica ATH-M50x if you need something that can be folded down into a more compact size.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
I can’t say 1 and 3 are generally sought-out features for travel headphones… but if wired / batteryless / passive noise isolation is what you’re after, I’d probably say Beyerdynamics DT 770 if the priority is the best headphones regardless of size, and Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or AudioTechnica ATH-M50x if you need something that can be folded down into a more compact size.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...g.html/reviews

I was thinking about ordering those again, but the company didn't seem to have fixed the fluid leaking issue yet. (also, it was a pain when I ran into the random TSA guys who demanded to know why my headphones had liquid, silicone gel-like substance inside)

Last edited by HibernateNow; Nov 25, 2021 at 11:04 am
Old Nov 25, 2021, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Sounds like you’re looking for muffs with audio included. Over-the-ear ‘phones are rarely focused on noise isolation.

25NRR, though I suspect the audio quality isn’t great:
Amazon Amazon

Beware of 40db and 45db claims. No such NRR dedicated ear muffs exist - I think my Peltor X5 at 31NRR are still the highest - so they are either random, extremely narrow bandwidth measures, or just made up.

Last edited by CPRich; Nov 25, 2021 at 9:18 pm
Old Nov 28, 2021, 6:12 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
When I mow the lawn I use flight line hearing protection and slip my Galaxy Buds underneath. I know you're looking for "no power", so if you have a pair of wired earbuds you like, maybe just slip those on before donning a pair of over-ear muffs (like those used for flight lines or shooting ranges)? For example: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sellstrom-N...nge/1003084634
Old Dec 1, 2021, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by HibernateNow
the company didn't seem to have fixed the fluid leaking issue yet. (also, it was a pain when I ran into the random TSA guys who demanded to know why my headphones had liquid, silicone gel-like substance inside)
If ever there was a first-world FlyerTalk-problem! Good luck with your search!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.