Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

How can I charge my 220 Volt toothbrush in Mexico?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:47 am
Original Poster

I have an electric toothbrush and its (inductive) charger needs 220 Volts to charge. I'm in Mexico and all outlets seems to supply only 110 Volts. Can anybody think of a way charge my toothbrush? E.g. do Internet cafees or any other stores have any 220 Volt outlets? I'm not open to pay for an expensive transformer, then I'd rather just use a standard handpowered toothbrush.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 10:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

110v would just charge it slowly I believe...
Old Nov 23, 2021, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
110v would just charge it slowly I believe...
No, unfortunately not. I've had it plugged in for 3 days now (I didn't realize the charger wasn't 110 Volt compatible) and my toothbrush is powerless.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:11 pm

You're not likely to find a public 220v receptacle in MX. Even if you did, it'll be 60Hz and your device is likely only designed for 50Hz since it's 220v-only. At one of the venues I worked at we would provide 220v Euro 2-pin sockets, but by special request, and it still was 60Hz.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 2:56 pm

Do you have a wireless charging pad for your phone or smart watch with you? I read that it could charge your toothbrush as well.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 3:01 pm

240V 60Hz as found on outlets for high-wattage devices like electric ranges, dryers, or some window or through-the-wall air conditioners would work; the charger shouldn't care about frequency.

Unfortunately none of these devices are common in Mexico; ranges are usually gas, dryers are usually the sun and split A/C units are hardwired. And the plug wouldn't fit anyway.

I don't know why inductive toothbrush chargers aren't 100-240V like everything else, but I've always just used a manual toothbrush for travel. Just be glad you didn't set one on fire like I did when I moved from the U.S. to Europe.
Old Nov 23, 2021, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
240V 60Hz as found on outlets for high-wattage devices like electric ranges, dryers, or some window or through-the-wall air conditioners would work; the charger shouldn't care about frequency.

Unfortunately none of these devices are common in Mexico; ranges are usually gas, dryers are usually the sun and split A/C units are hardwired. And the plug wouldn't fit anyway.

I don't know why inductive toothbrush chargers aren't 100-240V like everything else, but I've always just used a manual toothbrush for travel. Just be glad you didn't set one on fire like I did when I moved from the U.S. to Europe.
The 220v outlets in North America are split-phase. There are two hot 110v wires and neutral wire, some have a fourth wire, ground. It's a very different setup from the 220/240v that's used in the rest of the world, where it is a live 220/230v wire, a neutral and a ground.

We have several 220v circuits in the house, for the central air conditioning systems, the pool pump, the dual fuel range and the electric dryer outlet (which I use to charge my plug-in hybrid vehicle).
Old Nov 24, 2021, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by drvb
I have an electric toothbrush and its (inductive) charger needs 220 Volts to charge. I'm in Mexico and all outlets seems to supply only 110 Volts. Can anybody think of a way charge my toothbrush? E.g. do Internet cafees or any other stores have any 220 Volt outlets? I'm not open to pay for an expensive transformer, then I'd rather just use a standard handpowered toothbrush.
Odd. Very odd. My UK Oral-B works perfectly in the US and that is a 220V charger.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Need
Do you have a wireless charging pad for your phone or smart watch with you? I read that it could charge your toothbrush as well.
or just this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/mildlyinter...my_toothbrush/
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by crackjack
Yeah I actually thought about that after I posted, but didn't know if it would work or not. I wanted to test wireless charging pad and reserve charging on my toothbrush, but I don't any wireless charging in my household at all. My brother is here for Thanksgiving tomorrow, maybe I will borrow his new samsung phone to see it will charge my toothbrush LOL.
crackjack likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
The 220v outlets in North America are split-phase. There are two hot 110v wires and neutral wire, some have a fourth wire, ground. It's a very different setup from the 220/240v that's used in the rest of the world, where it is a live 220/230v wire, a neutral and a ground.

We have several 220v circuits in the house, for the central air conditioning systems, the pool pump, the dual fuel range and the electric dryer outlet (which I use to charge my plug-in hybrid vehicle).
Yes, but OP's charger doesn't care. Whether it gets +230 and 0 or +120 and -120 the charger will work fine--either way the voltage across the two wires is within spec. European household plugs have never been polarized, so it's impossible to run into the dangerous situation with older American appliances where the chassis is connected to neutral and a miswired plug connects the user to line voltage. Plus, a charger intended for use in a bathroom would be double-insulated anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good idea for OP to jam their toothbrush plug into a dryer or range outlet. But it would work. I may or may not have a very not-to-code NEMA 14-30 to Schuko adapter to run a 3 kW kettle and a Moccamaster coffeepot I really like

OP's best bet is a regular toothbrush or a charging pad for smartphones, which should both be easy to find in Mexico.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Yes, but OP's charger doesn't care. Whether it gets +230 and 0 or +120 and -120 the charger will work fine--either way the voltage across the two wires is within spec. European household plugs have never been polarized, so it's impossible to run into the dangerous situation with older American appliances where the chassis is connected to neutral and a miswired plug connects the user to line voltage. Plus, a charger intended for use in a bathroom would be double-insulated anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's a good idea for OP to jam their toothbrush plug into a dryer or range outlet. But it would work. I may or may not have a very not-to-code NEMA 14-30 to Schuko adapter to run a 3 kW kettle and a Moccamaster coffeepot I really like

OP's best bet is a regular toothbrush or a charging pad for smartphones, which should both be easy to find in Mexico.
Chances that the OP's toothbrush charger has a plug that is compatible with North American 220v outlets are slim to none, actually, nil.

There are the types of 220v outlets at my house:

220v 30 amps dryer outlet (two power lines at the side of the outlet and the bottom is the neutral, there is no ground)

220v 50 amp range outlet (two power lines at the side of the outlet, the bottom is the neutral and the top is the ground).

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 24, 2021 at 12:41 pm
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:12 am

Generic versions of the Braun inductive charger go for US$14.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Braun-7040...7849493&sr=8-7
der_saeufer likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I bought a 110-220 version many years ago - quite handy.

Amazon Amazon

No, it won’t fit my dryer’s socket.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Need
Yeah I actually thought about that after I posted, but didn't know if it would work or not. I wanted to test wireless charging pad and reserve charging on my toothbrush, but I don't any wireless charging in my household at all. My brother is here for Thanksgiving tomorrow, maybe I will borrow his new samsung phone to see it will charge my toothbrush LOL.
So I have tried reverse charging from my bother's samsung Flip 3. It charges my pixel 3 phone, airpods, but it would not charge my sonicare or aquasonic toothbrush. Unsure about wireless charging pad now... don't have one to test.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.