Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Casting Solution for iPad

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Casting Solution for iPad

I'm often carrying my iPad Pro and leaving my laptop home. With 5g and Microsoft Remote Desktop, it handles my needs. With my LTE Surface I carried a Microsoft Miracast stick and could cast to it without intervening wifi. I was wondering if anyone could think of a simple casting stick I could carry with me for this purpose? I don’t want to carry an Apple TV in my little roller board.

Last edited by Dubai Stu; Oct 3, 2021 at 6:12 pm
Old Oct 4, 2021, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
there are some inexpensive usable AirPlay enablement apps available for the Fire TV platform - Fire TV Sticks are pretty small and portable. I travel with one and use the app AirPin - which I think was $3-4.
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Roku has an offer for a $25 player. Works great with iOS/Airplay. https://www.roku.com/offers Regular price is $30 (or the same cost as a Fire TV Stick lite).

More info: https://support.roku.com/article/360057488733
Old Oct 4, 2021, 7:28 pm

Google Chromecast but you haven’t specified a port type for the device
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:24 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by TGarza
Google Chromecast but you haven’t specified a port type for the device
Chromecast supports airplay? I'll need to test this out.

The only "stick" I know that natively supports airplay 2 are the rokus. Not sure if this works "direct" though without wifi access. I'll need to try on my roku tv
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Chromecast supports airplay? I'll need to test this out.

The only "stick" I know that natively supports airplay 2 are the rokus. Not sure if this works "direct" though without wifi access. I'll need to try on my roku tv
You need an app for the iPhone connection to Chromecast.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:19 am

You need an app for the iPhone connection to Chromecast.
Interesting. For me, this would be best if I can avoid using hotel wifi at all. I guess I'd have to tether the Chromecast to my Phone. Which App would you recommend for airplay mirroring? If I go this route... I assume it will use my Phone's data (not the hotspot data? ) or allow me to play locally saved content from my phone?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:45 am

Interesting. For me, this would be best if I can avoid using hotel wifi at all. I guess I'd have to tether the Chromecast to my Phone. Which App would you recommend for airplay mirroring? If I go this route... I assume it will use my Phone's data (not the hotspot data? ) or allow me to play locally saved content from my phone?
Scratch my idea since I use Google Home to connect my iPhone to Chromecast which will probably not work for you since both devices need to be on the same WiFi network.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 11:59 am

Scratch my idea since I use Google Home to connect my iPhone to Chromecast which will probably not work for you since both devices need to be on the same WiFi network.
which app do you use?
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:37 pm

which app do you use?
Netflix has the support built in .. the app has the cast icon in the upper right of the screen when playing something. Make sure you're on the same network. You can either cast content or use airplay mirroring with Netflix. I just tried it and it shows my Fire TVs.

-David
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Netflix has the support built in .. the app has the cast icon in the upper right of the screen when playing something. Make sure you're on the same network. You can either cast content or use airplay mirroring with Netflix. I just tried it and it shows my Fire TVs.

-David
Yeah, I know some apps have it built in, but I'm more interested in enabling mirroring the whole system as the OP stated, not just certain apps.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Just occurred to me and you didn't ask this specifically, but how about a long hdmi cable and iPad AV connector (or USB C - HDMI dock)?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 1:35 pm

+1 for the Roku. I always travel with a Roku Streaming Stick+. A good price for these is $30. They're always on sale during the holidays for this price. Supports AirPlay and Android's Screen Mirroring as well. Not to mention it's a Roku!
Old Oct 6, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
+1 for the Roku. I always travel with a Roku Streaming Stick+. A good price for these is $30. They're always on sale during the holidays for this price. Supports AirPlay and Android's Screen Mirroring as well. Not to mention it's a Roku!
How's the hotel setup on a roku? I see they have some sort of hotel and dorm room setting?

-David
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:27 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
As someone who did travel with an old Apple TV I have been pleasantly surprised by how many smart TVs I have encountered that now support AirPlay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.