Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Casting Solution for iPad

Casting Solution for iPad

Old Oct 8, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
Just occurred to me and you didn't ask this specifically, but how about a long hdmi cable and iPad AV connector (or USB C - HDMI dock)?
I'm not the OP, but this is how I used to travel before getting my Firestick. (I don't use the firestick for casting... it is just my one luxury item I pack in my onebag for trips).

The benefit of the long HDMI with adapter is that it isn't reliant on hotel wifi, also no need to tether or take a travel router. I can show offline content from my iPhone, and use my iPhone data (not hotspot data) to take advantage of my unlimited AT&T on-device data.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
How's the hotel setup on a roku? I see they have some sort of hotel and dorm room setting?
It's not bad. I've used it before, but I always carry a travel router (or two) for my other devices. I find it easier than trying to use a Fire stick to log in.

If you're connecting with the Roku sans travel router, you power it on, pick the WiFi network you want to use like normal. It'll try to connect. Some hotel networks now are letting Rokus through without signing in. If it can get an IP but can't see the servers it wants, it'll prompt you to go to Hotel mode. It then sets itself up as a wireless repeater to the hotel network. You connect your phone to the Roku's WiFI AP, go through the hotel login screen, and the Roku functions as normal. Not really a hassle at all.

I travel with both a Gl.Inet Mango ($20) & a Gl.Inet Slate travel routers. Most people would probably be perfectly happy with the Mango. If you're doing VPNs or need 5GHz and gigabit ports, the Slate is the better choice. I like the Gl.Inet travel routers for many reasons, but the best feature is that their WiFi section is set up like mobile phones' in that it will remember multiple networks. I usually stay at Marriotts, so many times the router automatically finds the right WiFi and connects to it.

With a travel router, the procedure becomes: Power up the travel router, power up the Roku. All of my devices are already paired with the travel router. I just point the travel router to the hotel's WiFi with my phone and all of my devices magically start working. It's a beautiful thing.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 11:10 pm

Thanks for that info. Roku Express 4k+ arrived today, it's really great + airplay! I'll probably order the gl.inet slate. Thanks!

-David
Old Oct 12, 2021, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Thanks for that info. Roku Express 4k+ arrived today, it's really great + airplay! I'll probably order the gl.inet slate. Thanks!
I'm glad it's working out for you. I have a drawer full of Chromecasts, Apple TVs, Amazon Fire sticks, etc... but I keep coming back to the Roku. It can't do as much as some of the others, like use Kodi, BUT it does exactly what I want it to do and does it very well. The only gripe I gave about the Streaming Stick+ (which is what I travel with) is the proprietary antenna/power cable thing. I just toss the whole thing, Stick, Remote, and cables into a ziplock bag and keep it that way. The zip lock gets kept behind the TV while I'm at the hotel so I don't lose it.

One other thing to note: When traveling, the remote's buttons will get pushed and the remote will chew through batteries while it's getting squished in your luggage. I travel with rechargeable AAAs, so this doesn't bother me.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by KRSW
One other thing to note: When traveling, the remote's buttons will get pushed and the remote will chew through batteries while it's getting squished in your luggage. I travel with rechargeable AAAs, so this doesn't bother me.
I havent travelled with mine but this thread has promoted me to try it. I wasnt going to bring the remote and was planning to rely on the iOS app remote. Is there any reason you favour the physical remote (like controlling the TV volume) ?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by KRSW
Not for my remote, but early on, my mice would come out of my backpack powered up when their power button/switch got tripped. After getting a firm amenities kit (I think it was one from an ME3 airline... looks like a bigger version of a braces container) and keeping my power-up-able stuff in there, it stopped happening (I also toss my battery case in there so there's no way the case opens). My cables go into a pencil case I got from Walmart way back when. Little bit more weight, but saves me a lot of hassle.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I havent travelled with mine but this thread has promoted me to try it. I wasnt going to bring the remote and was planning to rely on the iOS app remote. Is there any reason you favour the physical remote (like controlling the TV volume) ?
I hate having to use my phone to control things, whether it be music playback, lighting, thermostats, etc. To use it as a remote that requires picking up my phone, unlocking it, going to the correct app, waiting for the app to load, then telling it what I want it to do. With a dedicated remote, I pick it up, one button & done. I When I'm "home", the phone goes on the charger and that's the last I use it for the day. The Roku remote "just works". Power, volume, mute, and Roku controls all on the same remote. And it does a great job figuring out which type of TV is connected to the Roku.

There's also the fact that hotel remotes (and what people do with them) are disgusting. I remember troubleshooting an IPTV system for a client who had a hotel. Lots of problems. We finally get it working (so we thought) and left debugging on and checked the logs in the morning. We go through the logs, everything looks good. Until we came to a room which had rented a movie. Out of decorum, let's just say it's something you wouldn't watch with your children around and the remote's functions got a lot of use that night. Ick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.