Whatsapp/Zoom video calls on a TV

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whatsapp/Zoom video calls on a TV

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2021 | 4:08 pm
10 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

I would either cast from a phone, tablet or laptop.

Installation YouTube video

Old Jul 9, 2021 | 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Surprised no one mentioned Facebook portal tv. Plug and play. Extremely easy
Old Jul 9, 2021 | 4:23 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Surprised no one mentioned Facebook portal tv. Plug and play. Extremely easy
I did stumble on that. A bit pricey. Need something for at least 2 but preferably 4 TVs.

Also appears that YuppTV is not available on FB portal.

Last edited by UA Fan; Jul 9, 2021 at 5:00 pm
Old Jul 9, 2021 | 4:36 pm
Suspended
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I did stumble on that. A bit pricey. Need something for at least 2 but preferably 4 TVs.

Looks like this cannot be hung on a TV like a webcam. One of the TVs will be hung on the wall and so there won't be a way to hang it, unless I make a separate shelf for it.
Even with getting it to show on the TV, the camera placement may at times involve compromises since most people would gravitate their eyes to look at the TVs center rather than into the camera.

Some years back, some TVs used to have in-built cameras close to the middle of the top of the bezel; but then many people didnt want them because of privacy concerns. I dont recall doing any video calls with those TVs then, so Im not sure if or how there may have been issues with where the TV camera user would seem to be looking elsewhere during a video call. And I havent been in the market for TVs with built-in cameras since, so cant speak to current TVs with built-in cameras.
Old Jul 12, 2021 | 3:59 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

FB Portal TV is very enticing as I just realized it can be hung on top of a TV and also has Alexa so can serve as a smart home hub. I have plans to set up a voice controlled smart home system, so this will be handy.

Does anyone know of a way to install Yupp TV through third party apps? Can't find much on youtube.

Old Jul 14, 2021 | 8:30 am
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Does anyone know of a way to use a webcam instead of the phone's own camera for whatsapp/zoom calls? I was thinking of putting a webcam on the top of the TV and then place a whatsapp call on the phone and attach the webcam to the phone. Then cast from phone to TV. This way the people on the other end can see me in the correct angle. Can't seem to find a way to attach a webcam to the phone for whatsapp calls. the closest I came to is this, but the phone only uses the webcam on one particular app:

Its so easy to do this on a laptop.
Old Jul 14, 2021 | 12:38 pm

Does anyone know of a way to use a webcam instead of the phone's own camera for whatsapp/zoom calls? I was thinking of putting a webcam on the top of the TV and then place a whatsapp call on the phone and attach the webcam to the phone. Then cast from phone to TV. This way the people on the other end can see me in the correct angle. Can't seem to find a way to attach a webcam to the phone for whatsapp calls.
Wouldn't it be easier just to find a holder for your phone attaching to the top of the TV?
Old Jul 14, 2021 | 5:44 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Need
Wouldn't it be easier just to find a holder for your phone attaching to the top of the TV?
Good idea, but can't seem seem to find something to hold it to the TV. I could do on the side, but would not be centered. Also want to use a webcam for the better picture. This seems so easy to do on the laptop.
Old Jul 15, 2021 | 5:04 am

Programs: United MP
Good idea, but can't seem seem to find something to hold it to the TV. I could do on the side, but would not be centered. Also want to use a webcam for the better picture. This seems so easy to do on the laptop.
I mentioned this earlier, but I do exactly what you want, but with my phone, whose camera is better than any webcam that i have tried. I use this: Clip

I
hope the link works. Its a gooseneck phone holder that can hold the phone exactly where you want it to be. We use it to hold our phone just above a monitor or TV just like you desire to do.
Need likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021 | 10:31 am

Get this for center top of TV mounting:
Amazon Amazon

Put this on top of the mount for your phone:
Amazon Amazon

I don't know which webcam you are looking at, but I don't think any webcam has better picture in any smartphone came out in the last 5 years. Video chat resolution is no more than 1080p max.
Old Jul 15, 2021 | 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
I don't know which webcam you are looking at, but I don't think any webcam has better picture in any smartphone came out in the last 5 years. Video chat resolution is no more than 1080p max.
I don't do a lot of video conferencing, but in my (limited) experience, you're correct.

Neither an external USB webcam nor any of the builtin webcams on any of my laptops can hold a candle to the camera on my smartphone.

Now, that doesn't mean I've actually connected it to my laptop, but using WhatsApp, for example, works very well and the pictures from either end are very good.
Old Jul 25, 2021 | 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
For Yupp you can use a chromecast or perhaps it's even built into your TV. Or worst case use Replica on iPhone and send to tv that way over chromecast functionality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.