Reload this Page >

Setting up smartphone as remote control for TV, light and fan

Old Sep 3, 20, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I have a Samsung S9 and would like to set it up as a remote control for the TV, fan and light. The TV is also a Samsung and was able to set up a remote on my phone, but it does not have the ability to turn it on as the phone does not have an IR blaster (the S6 had it?). I don't want to add an adaptor to my phone as these small things get lost, especially with small kids in the house. Is there someway to go about this?
Old Sep 3, 20, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Put in Wemo or Kasa or whatever smart switches/outlets and use their app to control them.
Old Sep 3, 20, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Put in Wemo or Kasa or whatever smart switches/outlets and use their app to control them.
But since the phone does not have an IR blaster will it work?
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
But since the phone does not have an IR blaster will it work?
Yes, it all uses wifi. You use the app to turn the outlet or switch on and off.

IR is such an antiquated thing, I'm surprised any phone made in the last 10 years had it as a feature.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 4, 20, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We use Kasa smart plugs for some lights, cameras and the sump pump. Works great and as said works off Wi-Fi but are only off / on. We also have a couple of Wi-Fi smart light bulbs that work off the same app.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The two most common ways for me to remotely switch off lights at homes: using WiFi-connected smart bulbs and using WiFi-connected smart plugs. I use WiFi-connected smart plugs for TVs and some other electronics. I don't need to be on the same WiFi network to turn on and off the items except at time of set-up. There are some really interesting smart bulbs on the market, ones that let you change the color, brightness and other things; but what they don't let me do is turn on and off the rooms' physical light switches.

The major smart TV manufacturers have apps that work to change the channels, control the volume and such things.

My phones/tablets are my primary or secondary TV remote nowadays.
Old Sep 5, 20, 12:50 pm

I have a newer Samsung TV and the Samsung Smart Thing app does let me turn on the TV to control it. I don't use it though as it is really slow to get to the remote page. It is really so much easier with the actual remote. I have smart plugs for some of the lights in the house that I could use my phone to control them. But the main purpose of the smart plugs is for voice control via Amazon Echo and for timer control (Alexa, turn on hallway light). I only use the app to set the timers. I am thinking to get a smart light switch for the kitchen lights.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 5, 20, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
As for the TV in general, many modern sets support HDMI-CEC, allowing attached devices to turn on the TV (and vice versa). For instance, the Fire Stick will turn on our TV and the attached Denon receiver when the power button on the Fire Stick's remote's pushed (and presumably through the Fire TV app as well).

Of course, Samsung also has their own thing as mentioned above.
Old Sep 5, 20, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
As for the TV in general, many modern sets support HDMI-CEC, allowing attached devices to turn on the TV (and vice versa). For instance, the Fire Stick will turn on our TV and the attached Denon receiver when the power button on the Fire Stick's remote's pushed (and presumably through the Fire TV app as well).

There are also video game systems that act to power on such TVs when some connected video game system’s activated. When some of my TV remote controls go missing or get damaged, using say a Nintendo Swtich’s Bluetooth controller to turn on the Switch and thereby kick on the TV then makes it possible to use the phone/tablet apps to control the connected TVs without having to physically touch buttons on the TVs.
Old Sep 6, 20, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
There are also video game systems that act to power on such TVs when some connected video game system’s activated. When some of my TV remote controls go missing or get damaged, using say a Nintendo Swtich’s Bluetooth controller to turn on the Switch and thereby kick on the TV then makes it possible to use the phone/tablet apps to control the connected TVs without having to physically touch buttons on the TVs.
The Nintendo Switch uses HDMI-CEC.

Hub HDMI through the TV, using the audio return channel to run audio to the receiver if you use one, then enable HDMI-CEC on the TV, and all the connected devices.

https://www.howtogeek.com/207186/how...hy-you-should/

-David
GUWonder likes this.
Old Sep 7, 20, 2:13 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've got a Logitech Harmony Hub that controls all my stuff. It communicates over RF, IR and Bluetooth as appropriate (I don't use anything that is IR these days).

There is then an Android/iOS app that acts as a remote control - although I have the Harmony Elite Remote rather than using the app.
Old Sep 7, 20, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I've got a Logitech Harmony Hub that controls all my stuff. It communicates over RF, IR and Bluetooth as appropriate (I don't use anything that is IR these days).

There is then an Android/iOS app that acts as a remote control - although I have the Harmony Elite Remote rather than using the app.
I have a Harmony Hub in this house too. I think that the TV remote for the TV connected to this Harmony Hub is an IR remote control, and I think that the included Harmony remote for this Harmony Hub itself is also IR.

I find the Harmony app sometimes to be buggy or more of a laggard in doing what I want than using the IR remotes directly. But given the appeal for a non-cluttered look means hiding the receiving objects from physical sight, the non-IR connectivity seems set to have a longer future than IR remotes.
Old Sep 7, 20, 9:50 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Yes, it all uses wifi. You use the app to turn the outlet or switch on and off.

IR is such an antiquated thing, I'm surprised any phone made in the last 10 years had it as a feature.
Samsung and HTC both offered this on older models specifically to work with tvs. Worked great when my son was a baby and asleep on my chest, I didn't want to move him but wanted to turn the tv on.
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo View Post
Samsung and HTC both offered this on older models specifically to work with tvs. Worked great when my son was a baby and asleep on my chest, I didn't want to move him but wanted to turn the tv on.
Also worked great for hotel TVs where they'd only give a "generic" remote which wouldn't allow some stuff like switching input source etc.
Old Sep 9, 20, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post

In addition to HDM-CEC many TVs also support "Wake on LAN", I haven't used it in a while but some mobile remote apps might still have this feature built into them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: