2021 iPad Pro

Old Apr 21, 21, 4:59 pm
exp
Original Poster

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
2021 iPad Pro

On paper, a lot of good travel features, like a bright, smooth screen (Pro Motion, for 120 Hz refresh rate) and availability of 5G now, with eSIM support.

But you could be in for some sticker shock.

So to get the iPad Pro with 16 GB of RAM instead of 8 GB, you have to buy the 1 or 2 TB versions, which are $1499 and $1799 for the 11 and 12.9-inch versions, Wifi only.

Add cellular and it's $200 more.

I don't know how these prices compared in 2020 models but it's essentially a $2000 device.

TBH, I'm using a bit over45 GB on a 256 GB model (2017 10.5 inch iPad Pro) right now. That's with some music (way more than I will listen to), some Prime video downloads, Lightroom.

I could download maybe 5-10 GB more of movies and TV shows but that would last me weeks or months.

So I could do fine with 128 GB storage but that would mean only 8 GB of RAM. So $700 more to get an additional 8 GB of RAM and go from 128 GB to 1 TB of space that I don't need. Another $200 for 5G.

So al that for a $1500 to $1700 mobile device, rather than a full OS with way more productive UI like windowing, cursor control and file management.

iPad is media consumption for me so I guess I better look at what the Air series looks like whenever it gets 5G. Hmm no Pro Motion for the Air series either.
Old Apr 22, 21, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'm curious why the new iPadPro won't run MacOS. If it did and was connected to a keyboard and mouse, it could be used as a MacBook of sort.
Old Apr 22, 21, 12:54 pm
exp
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
I'm curious why the new iPadPro won't run MacOS. If it did and was connected to a keyboard and mouse, it could be used as a MacBook of sort.

Because there is probably a not small number of people who buy both a MacBook and iPads.

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro that I barely use but I've been buying iPads every 5 years or so.

And yes I will probably buy another MacBook Pro again as well as get some kind of iPad. May not be an iPad Pro again though.
GUWonder and HDQDD like this.
Old Apr 23, 21, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by exp View Post
So al that for a $1500 to $1700 mobile device, rather than a full OS with way more productive UI like windowing, cursor control and file management.

iPad is media consumption for me so I guess I better look at what the Air series looks like whenever it gets 5G. Hmm no Pro Motion for the Air series either.
The iPad and a full fat MacOS box are targetting different markets... So different segments (although it appears Apple thinks they're equivalent in value or so).

If it's media consumption and you're not necessarily locked into the iOS ecosystem, maybe consider Samsung? Screen sizes are approaching similar aspects and depending on model, you could probably save quite a bit. I've been using Galaxy Tabs for a while and they work fine for me. I don't get the top of the line (eg, S7 is the current top, I'd pick up the upcoming S7 Lite since I don't need it for anything task heavy). I generally just purchase the basic unit and install a micro SD card to expand the storage and away I go.
Old Apr 24, 21, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Curious if anyone has replaced their Macbook Pro with an iPad Pro. My Macbook circa 2015 is humming along OK for now, aside from the battery barely lasting an hour, but my feeling is that given how I use the machine, I am probably OK with the switch especially as I have a Windows laptop stored at home that I connect to over VNV Viewer to access the GDS and if there is the odd piece of software that won't run on the iPad, I can put it on the Windows machine and connect to it via VNC.

I just don't want one of those mushy feel keyboards, I would rather have a proper keyboard with traveling keys and a usable mouse, but then disconnect the iPad part to go portable when needed.

Then again, at these prices I am getting into Macbook Pro or Macbook Air territory.
Old Apr 25, 21, 12:35 am
exp
Original Poster

I mean if you buy the hype, that 12.9 inch iPad Pro screen would be better than the MacBook Air or even the current MacBook Pro territory.

When they put M1 or M2 in the 16-inch MBP and the rumored 14-inch, they might call the screens on those XDR and jack up those prices.
Old Apr 25, 21, 11:25 am

If Apple would modify its rules on emulators, this machine could easily run Windows for ARM.
Internaut likes this.
Old Apr 26, 21, 6:31 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Curious if anyone has replaced their Macbook Pro with an iPad Pro. My Macbook circa 2015 is humming along OK for now, aside from the battery barely lasting an hour, but my feeling is that given how I use the machine, I am probably OK with the switch especially as I have a Windows laptop stored at home that I connect to over VNV Viewer to access the GDS and if there is the odd piece of software that won't run on the iPad, I can put it on the Windows machine and connect to it via VNC.

I just don't want one of those mushy feel keyboards, I would rather have a proper keyboard with traveling keys and a usable mouse, but then disconnect the iPad part to go portable when needed.

Then again, at these prices I am getting into Macbook Pro or Macbook Air territory.
I would get the MacBook Pro. However, I have used the 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 exclusively for almost a year. Only occasionally have i needed to use a laptop. I still love it, but more and more i need the MBP 2017 we have. I’m waiting for a MacBook Air to arrive soon to cover my laptop needs. The Magic Keyboard is expensive, but typing on the keyboard is better than my other computers. The $350 was too much, but after having it for so long, i don’t regret spending the money for it. It was a better keyboard than the Logitech one we had for it before we got this one. I’m not upgrading to the new M1 version, but the new iPad Pro 12.9 doesn’t work with the older keyboard. Not sure about the 11 inch one. Just make sure you get the correct keyboard for it if you get one.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Apr 26, 21, 12:04 pm
exp
Original Poster

If you spent $350 for a keyboard and then the new model isn't compatible with it, Apple is kind of telling you out to buy the new iPad.

Or not to buy overpriced accessories from them.
Old Apr 26, 21, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DeafFlyer View Post
<snip> but the new iPad Pro 12.9 doesn’t work with the older keyboard. Not sure about the 11 inch one. Just make sure you get the correct keyboard for it if you get one.
The older Magic Keyboard does indeed work with the new 11" iPad Pro, but does not work with the new 12.9" iPad Pro.

Regards

Search this Thread
Search Engine: