Reload this Page >

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2022, 6:33 am

I have used them on a few trips in my checked bags. They work well and are easy to track. You need to have an iCloud account with Apple to find their location. Either on a desktop or mobile device.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:34 am

This happened to me last month. When I arrived at my destination, I checked the Find My app to find that my luggage had not left the departure airport! Instead of waiting around the carousel, I went directly to the customer service desk to start the claim. The following morning I was able to track my luggage as it made it (eventually) to my hotel.

I keep the AirTag on the inside of the luggage and it still works without issue.
BarredOwl likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: UA*G, AA Plat, Accor Diamond, Marriott G
I had a similar experience to IlliFlyer and now consider AirTags essential for travel. Because of it, I got my luggage a couple of days faster.
Old Jun 21, 2022, 10:50 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I used AirTags on my recent trip and it was a relief to see my bag show up in "Find My..." app soon after I deplaned. There were transits of AMS involved it it has been such a .... show there recently...
Igene likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I’m considering adding these to my rare checked (and regular carryon) luggage. I travel often to remote parts of Africa and Asia. Any experience using this outside of major cities, but beyond suburbs and in more remote areas? I wish there were a way to add this to my passport.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
I just got back from a week's trip to Europe. I put airtags inside our 3 aluminum Rimowa bags (2 checkin M, one cabin Plus) using the pelican cover on the inside part of the handle. We had the Cabin as a backup if Heathrow lost our bags, which I checked in on the way back. I was able to see them moving to our connection in Heathrow. The airtag especially worked well considering the airline lost one of our bags on the way back and i was able to show where it had been detected 3 mins before. I'd never checked the Cabin back before. Summary: works well, need something to connect it with - the Pelican stick-on is good. I'm getting a bunch more airtags.

Our only other trouble was we lost a wheel on my Checkin Mon the way over (3-wheeled Rimowas work pretty well) - thanks BA!

/i
GUWonder, Need and nk15 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I’m considering adding these to my rare checked (and regular carryon) luggage. I travel often to remote parts of Africa and Asia. Any experience using this outside of major cities, but beyond suburbs and in more remote areas? I wish there were a way to add this to my passport.
Not sure about Africa and Asia, but I’m playing a game with Tiles going to some mountainous parts of Asia next month and am very curious to see how it plays out on the trips with those and the AirTags. I am expecting it to be lousier than AirTags, but am curious to see how so.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What does someone mean by a Pelican stick-on above? Can’t you just stick it inside the bag with your laundry? Or does it need to be outside?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
What does someone mean by a Pelican stick-on above? Can’t you just stick it inside the bag with your laundry? Or does it need to be outside?
here is a link
Pelican Protector Pelican Protector
- I put the airtag in the protector, unzipped the lining and stuck it on the inside of the handle system. 3 minute job

/i
Old Jul 26, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
The advice remains do not check a bag, but if you do, stick an airtag in it...
Igene likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Delta: DM
... I wish there were a way to add this to my passport.
Plenty of options on Amazon

Amazon Amazon
Rare likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Sort of surprised a bit by how the AirTags — after initially registering at DCA — didn’t register for several hours after arrival registration at DCA. And that’s despite being around heavily trafficked areas near DCA thereafte. TilePro registered sooner and more often in the interim, and I’m not sure why other than maybe the time of the day matters somehow.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 2, 2022 at 5:33 am
Old Aug 2, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I didn't put one on my passport, but I did put one in the neck wallet where I keep my passport.

As far as remote areas, the AirTags relies on there being iPhones with internet access (cellular/wifi) nearby. The way I understand it, IOS will report back to the mothership that AirTag xxxxx was close enough for my bluetooth radio to detect. So you would need a certain level of iPhone usage in the area to be useful.
Old Aug 2, 2022, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it annoying to receive the constant notifications? or can you simply turn it off and then switch on in the event you lose an item?
Old Aug 2, 2022, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect you'll have issues - AirTags only work if there are iPhones, iPads or MacBooks nearby for them to ping off of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.