Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)

Old Aug 3, 2022, 5:02 am

Another new AirTag fan here. Bought 8 and put them in checked bags and carryons, as well as in family memberís purse (with her consent). Flew Greece-US via ATH yesterday.
3 of 4 checked bags never left ATH.; on arrival at destination,, immediately filed missing bag report and did not have to wait for the carousel to eventually empty.
Also, when family member disappeared to bathroom and did not return as our delayed flight was on final call, I was able to track her down in packed and chaotic duty free area in Athens (she refused to let me accompany her to bathroom, then got distracted on the way back).
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:53 am

Curious if while sitting on the plane the airtag would pickup location before takeoff and you could see if your luggage is on the flight.
nk15 likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by antistan
Curious if while sitting on the plane the airtag would pickup location before takeoff and you could see if your luggage is on the flight.
There have been people who have reported that they can locate their luggage while in flight. Barring airplane mode, Apple doesn't completely shut down Bluetooth/UWB... and you're usually close enough to the cargo bay that you could conceivably pick up your airtag (assuming you're close enough and there isn't too much wiring between you and the airtag). Not so sure about Tile, but it's something to consider.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airplane mode usually leaves Bluetooth on, and AirTags communicate with iDevices via Bluetooth. It's possible a signal could get through all the bags, the aircraft frame, and to your (or another passenger's) phone.

I actually think luggage tracking is one of the less useful applications for AirTags because, in the US at least, all the big airlines' apps seem to have a way to show you your luggage tracking activity including when it was scanned onto the plane.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
I actually think luggage tracking is one of the less useful applications for AirTags because, in the US at least, all the big airlines' apps seem to have a way to show you your luggage tracking activity including when it was scanned onto the plane.
I disagree. Sure if everything goes right, you should be able to track your luggage, but then we have all these horror stories going on right now with missing, misplaced or tossed luggage and people not receiving it for over a month if ever. Using personal trackers gives you some control over the process. Of course it's not perfect either, but better than leaving it completely in someone else's hands.
Loren Pechtel and aztimm like this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was hoping to put this on my carry-on bag. I often leave it for a few minutes in an airline lounge and am concerned that one day someone might steal it. Will that actually be super irritating because it will ping every time I walk away from it?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I was hoping to put this on my carry-on bag. I often leave it for a few minutes in an airline lounge and am concerned that one day someone might steal it. Will that actually be super irritating because it will ping every time I walk away from it?
The tag itself won't 'ping', by default you'll get a notification on your phone that the tag is no longer with you, but you can disable these and just use the Find My app to see the location of the tag.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Airtag doesn't do that. It will only notify you of the location if you are looking for it. It's NOT one of those old tag thing on the keyring or laptop that if you are away from it, it will beep.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by antistan
I have had the airtag on a checked bag ping me while in the aircraft before but while the bag was being loaded.. must have been the baggage handler's phone or something nearby that picked it up.. At the time I was in a window Polaris seat in the forward cabin and the bags were coming in to the forward baggage doors..

which makes me think, there must be SOME BTLE drain for phones which are around lots of airtags often, being the primary 'locating' device and communicating device to the cloud. I wonder if the baggage handlers and or check-in agents have seen or will see more battery drain due to all the tags people might ultimately be using for baggage tracking. Certainly an on the tarmac baggage operator is going to see the highest increase in these as they are probably more often around the MOST number of possible bags.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I have had the airtag on a checked bag ping me while in the aircraft before but while the bag was being loaded.. must have been the baggage handler's phone or something nearby that picked it up.. At the time I was in a window Polaris seat in the forward cabin and the bags were coming in to the forward baggage doors..

which makes me think, there must be SOME BTLE drain for phones which are around lots of airtags often, being the primary 'locating' device and communicating device to the cloud. I wonder if the baggage handlers and or check-in agents have seen or will see more battery drain due to all the tags people might ultimately be using for baggage tracking. Certainly an on the tarmac baggage operator is going to see the highest increase in these as they are probably more often around the MOST number of possible bags.
I don't believe so. It's just a handful of additional bytes being added to existing messages that are already being sent between the phones and the Apple cloud-based infrastructure on a regular basis. There's no 'primary' listener / receiver, every device will send everything it sees. These messages already include encrypted references to nearby iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, AirPods, etc. and have done for quite some time, in addition to the phone's own location data and other telemetry. The overhead from AirTags is negligible.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The additional overhead on personal electronic device battery use from additional signals from AirTags and other such trackers can’t come close to the measure of leaving Bluetooth-enabled/on on the phones even when the PED is far away from other Bluetooth-using devices.

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Airplane mode usually leaves Bluetooth on, and AirTags communicate with iDevices via Bluetooth. It's possible a signal could get through all the bags, the aircraft frame, and to your (or another passenger's) phone.

I have been checking this out with DL, and at some airports I get the AirTags to give me more current updates than DL shows on the apps. And that’s even for when my DL checked bag tags seem to have RFID tags built into them.

The volume of this summer’s RUSH tag bags — generally unaccompanied bags — that I’ve seen at some non-US airports which I frequent too have only upped my user case for AirTags and TilePro since I may get around to the airports to find bags faster than ground services handling irregular baggage handling reports to even deliver them. Add in the drive for clearing the belts, and I’m seeing even non-RUSH-equivalent bags being moved around baggage halls on arrivals before the accompanying passengers can even at times manually locate them.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 3, 2022 at 7:02 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I disagree. Sure if everything goes right, you should be able to track your luggage, but then we have all these horror stories going on right now with missing, misplaced or tossed luggage and people not receiving it for over a month if ever. Using personal trackers gives you some control over the process. Of course it's not perfect either, but better than leaving it completely in someone else's hands.
Yeah, this is a good point. I suppose I check bags so infrequently that I think the last time anything went awry was around 1997, when I gave a Continental gate agent In SLC my paper Delta ticket and somehow they accepted it and let me on an earlier flight, even though my checked bag stayed on the Delta plane. A month later, the Intercontinental in Chicago called to say that my bag had been sitting in their closet for a month and was I ever going to come for it. Then the Airtag would have been useful
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:47 am

Exactly. About 8 years ago my bag was put on an earlier flight while I was on my scheduled one. It took me about 1 1/2 hours to find out what had happened to it. I thought bags were supposed to matched to passengers but not always.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Need
Airtag doesn't do that. It will only notify you of the location if you are looking for it. It's NOT one of those old tag thing on the keyring or laptop that if you are away from it, it will beep.
One time I had an airtag chase down the bag thief, apprehend them, and then called me on my phone.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:54 am

I wonder how many people are actually aware of air tags. I suspect if more people were aware, there would be fewer missing luggage now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.