Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Options For Moving To A New iPhone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I don't ordinarily buy a program for which the OS has the function built in, but I heartily recommend iMazing https://imazing.com/ as an iTunes alternative (far less bloaty, many more features for granular backup/restore, etc.)
This looks like exactly what I want - seems I can clean out some of my photos from my Mac, maybe even sort the photos into albums (not sure, need to check if the app can do this), then move my texts and photos to the new phone. Everything else is in the cloud, so to speak - Google manages contacts, and the apps all have logins to pull the data and settings back down.

Worst case, it goes haywire and I just wipe the new phone and restore from backup.
Old Nov 20, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just restore the new phone from iCloud backup, which is one of the options during the new phone setup process. Been doing it since my first iPhone 4s long ago...
Old Nov 20, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I ordered a new iPhone 12 Pro Max to replace my 7+ and am trying to figure out the best way to move to the new phone without dragging over any of the OS and app junk that often makes my 7+ lag or behave strangely resulting in a hard reboot.

I know of the following two migration options, but not sure which one is best:
1. set new phone up directly from a backup of the 7+
2. set the new phone up as "new" then restore a 7+ backup over the new phone OS

But I am hoping for a 3rd option, which I don't know if it's possible - set the new phone up as new, install and configure the apps that I want from scratch, I don't care about the app data, but the missing part is how to sync over my photos (all 10,000 of them) and my text messages - is there a way to do this?
I did the third option in the past and had no problem with the photos since they are in icloud, and downloaded the thumbnails fine automatically. I didn't care about keeping the text message cache of old pictures and documents.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (OW Emerald), TK Elite (*A Gold)
I agree with loading the new phone from the backup - I've done this countless times and never struggled with performance issues or noticed excessive storage being used with 'bloat'.

One issue I have spotted though is with historic SMS message. They all transfer over, but if I scroll back through a conversation (about a year) I start to spot the messages are out of order. Only in blocks of around five, so you can still follow the conversation, but they're clearly not in the order they were sent. Thought I'd mention seen as you specifically said you wanted to back up text messages!
bocastephen likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.