Reload this Page >

Apple switching to ARM for the Macs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple switching to ARM for the Macs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Download Windows Insider Preview ARM64 (microsoft.com)

There's no guarantee that this will ever be available to purchase though...
Thanks to your advice, I was able to get my Father's ancient mac upgraded. We got him the Macbook air with maxed out ram and drive space. Then I put on Parallels 16 and the Windows insider preview. Unfortunately he insists on using the windows version of quicken.... which is the only "PC" app he uses. So far, it is working great.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LordHamster
<snip> Unfortunately he insists on using the windows version of quicken.... which is the only "PC" app he uses. So far, it is working great.
Actually, I insist on that too. I actually installed the MacOS version of Quicken on a Macbook Pro I have and was desperately hoping it would be "good enough" for me to fully transition to a new M1 Mac. Unfortunately, the Mac version of Quicken is... how do I say this? Atrocious...

Regards
LordHamster likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:30 pm

Thanks to your advice, I was able to get my Father's ancient mac upgraded. We got him the Macbook air with maxed out ram and drive space. Then I put on Parallels 16 and the Windows insider preview. Unfortunately he insists on using the windows version of quicken.... which is the only "PC" app he uses. So far, it is working great.
This is for an Intel MBA or M1 MBA? If this is an M1, wouldn't rosetta have automatically run QuickBooks?

As for Windows, I would have left it at Windows 10...Unfortunately MS has a habit of disabling previews as they get closer to the gold image.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
This is for an Intel MBA or M1 MBA? If this is an M1, wouldn't rosetta have automatically run QuickBooks?

As for Windows, I would have left it at Windows 10...Unfortunately MS has a habit of disabling previews as they get closer to the gold image.
It is an M1 Macbook Air. And he is running "quicken" the personal finance software, not Quickbooks the small business accounting software.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:09 pm

It is an M1 Macbook Air. And he is running "quicken" the personal finance software, not Quickbooks the small business accounting software.
I suspect that Rosetta would still be a valid translator. But as long as it works...
Old Jul 29, 2021, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I suspect that Rosetta would still be a valid translator. But as long as it works...
I don't think this is rosetta, rosetta is for native mac apps.

There's some sort of x86 emulator in windows for arm, probably what's running quicken for windows (x86 windows app) in that setup. (under parallels 16)

LordHamster: The crossover app I mentioned earlier in the thread is also supposed to work on M1-based Macs, and quicken is one of the things they tested. The crossover app removes the need for Parallels and Windows. I did have some minor issues with their installer, but I was able to get it working. Do you have any interest in testing it? I tested it, I think I had a couple of weeks with a free license. I just made a copy of the quicken data file in a new directory and used that, it seemed to work.

-David
Rare likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 29, 2021 at 10:48 pm
Old Jul 30, 2021, 5:04 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

If he's not completely stuck on Quicken - I'd recommend Banktivity for personal finance stuff - and it's a native Mac App (with iOS apps also). Quicken & MS Money pulled out of the UK market a few years back, and I've tried a few alternatives (Moneydance was another fairly good one). Banktivity seems to have all the functionality of what I remember Quicken having, and can import Quicken QIF files.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:32 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Yeah Quicken is a racket, you have to pay a subscription.

I use Bankivity mostly to track my investments.

I don't really do budgeting or cash flow analysis or whatever, though I can understand others may want to have more fiscal discipline.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I don't think this is rosetta, rosetta is for native mac apps.

There's some sort of x86 emulator in windows for arm, probably what's running quicken for windows (x86 windows app) in that setup. (under parallels 16)

LordHamster: The crossover app I mentioned earlier in the thread is also supposed to work on M1-based Macs, and quicken is one of the things they tested. The crossover app removes the need for Parallels and Windows. I did have some minor issues with their installer, but I was able to get it working. Do you have any interest in testing it? I tested it, I think I had a couple of weeks with a free license. I just made a copy of the quicken data file in a new directory and used that, it seemed to work.

-David
I don't personally have an M1 Mac to test on, and I finally got my father to the point where the "tech support" calls stopped. Don't want to play with fire.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 8:50 pm

I played with banktivity a bit, and I was hopeful about it, but it didn't really import everything, some accounts like my current mortgage account weren't imported at all, though I exported everything. That of course left dangling transfers for my mortgage payments.

I tried qfx first and banktivity gave up with a parsing error, so I tried gif, it imported that, but not correctly, some of my credit card accounts now have positive balances in banktivity so not all of the historical transactions were imported correctly. I looked at one account and the error in the balance started back in 2015.

To be fair, I have a huge quicken file, dating back to 1992, so I'm not surprised that the complexity caused issues. I had some ideas about trying some different things but I gave up after a while.

I'd say it's worth a try though, and it comes with a 30-day trial before you need a subscription. Thanks for the info.

But for me, the crossover tools seems like a better option, you actually run quicken for windows within crossover using the same (copy) of your quicken data file.

-David
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
After getting the M1 MacBook Air, I was very impressed. So I was then impatiently waiting for the 24" iMac to replace my current 21" iMac, but the bezels and colours put me off.

Instead, I bought an M1 MacMini (16GB / 1TB) and a 32" monitor. Very pleased with that decision!
Thinking of doing similar. My base Air runs Windows amazingly well (including Intel emulation), but watching the memory pressure graph go yellow* as soon as I run up a Mac browser window has me wanting more and a 16GB Mini would be perfect.

* Yes, that’s in irrational fear of yellow. Nothing slows down and everything I’ve read says don’t bother ‘til it’s red.
Old Aug 21, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I don't think there is anything irrational about worrying about memory pressure when you're swapping to disk in a computer with a soldered down SSD for which there is no published TBW spec.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 3:21 am

I wish I could have bought a 32g model.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:58 am

In response to the posts about there is no guarantee that the Windows for ARM will be available officially available for M1 Mac users, it looks like Parallels has won Microsoft’s approval:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/2...mance-upgrades
Old Aug 22, 2021, 9:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
In response to the posts about there is no guarantee that the Windows for ARM will be available officially available for M1 Mac users, it looks like Parallels has won Microsoft’s approval:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/2...mance-upgrades
Is there anything new in there? It just says that Parallels 17 can run the "beta" Windows 10/11 Arm version. It doesn't mentioned anything about being able to purchase a W10/11 Arm license. Pretty much the same a Parallels 16.

I'd buy Parallels - but it can only run on one Mac. I'd need 2 full licenses to be able to run it on my Mac Mini and Macbook. I'll wait for VMWare to release their version of Fusion as you can run on multiple machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.