Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why does everybody use Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:14 am
Original Poster

why does everybody use Chrome?

I think I'm done with it. After crashing my computer again ("cache loading" forever), I think I've had enough.
I'm not sure why it is the most popular. It isn't the fastest, if you consider all the times you wait for Windows to ask you whether you want to kill the process or wait.

Firefox stinks, what with their constant nagging to update and it just seems clunkier.
Opera now belongs to a Chinese company and I heard about spyware so I'll pass.
I"m trying Vivaldi.

Is Edge now ok? Any other good options? For lots of tabs open but not hogging up all the memory?
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by s0ssos

Is Edge now ok? Any other good options? For lots of tabs open but not hogging up all the memory?
I use Chrome on multiple devices (Mac / Windows / Android) and don't have any issues. If you're constantly having issues, try disabling all the plug-ins as it could be one of them causing it.

Edge is now just Chrome with a Microsoft skin. It uses the same Chromium engine.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefined

I use Chrome on multiple devices (Mac / Windows / Android) and don't have any issues. If you're constantly having issues, try disabling all the plug-ins as it could be one of them causing it.

Edge is now just Chrome with a Microsoft skin. It uses the same Chromium engine.
I don't actually use any plugins. Oftentimes there is an issue with the connection, and Chrome behaves terribly when there is that issue. It freezes while waiting "for a secure connection" from flyertalk, for example, freezing the rest of my computer as well.
And it makes my 16gb of RAM seem like nothing.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm, I use Chrome on both my laptops and have not had any issues at all. I'd suggest uninstalling the browser entirely and reinstalling. Also verify you don't use extensions...go to chrome://extensions
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
I've also been minimizing my Chrome usage. When Edge and Chrome are cranky, I've been finding Brave is a hero.
Larrude and OceanAir like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:42 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Gave up on Chrome years ago and went back to Safari. I didn't have a problem with Chrome reliability, I just don't trust Google.
MaxFlyer and OceanAir like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It freezes while waiting "for a secure connection" from flyertalk, for example, freezing the rest of my computer as well.
If Chrome is freezing the rest of your computer, then there's something wrong with "the rest of your computer", not with Chrome...
roberto99, König, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Chrome is superfast and has been very reliable for me
Antonio8069 and ajGoes like this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One word - convenience. It's there, simple to install, and syncs well with multiple Android devices. So my desktop, laptop, phone and TV are in many ways a unified device.
OTOH, convenience often has drawbacks and I'm sure that if I was dealing with sensitive information that cross-accessability would be problematic.
But for general use, I like it.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by docbert
If Chrome is freezing the rest of your computer, then there's something wrong with "the rest of your computer", not with Chrome...
Yea, that's called Windows, but it's too hard to not use Windows.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally I switched to Chrome browser because it was the only one that I could use for casting to my original chromecast connecting to the TV. Now I don't even have a chromecast but I am staying with it because I am used to it. Also the bookmarks sync with the chrome browser on my Android phone. I don't remember my chrome browser ever crash or slow down maybe because of the extensions I use.

Ad*Block Plus: Block pretty much all the ads. It is amazing how much faster the browser is when you don't have 8 to 10 ads flashing on your screen.
The Great Suspender: Put all the inactive tabs to sleep. It frees up so much memory. It was one of the worst thing about Chrome.. the memory usage.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club

I don't actually use any plugins. Oftentimes there is an issue with the connection, and Chrome behaves terribly when there is that issue. It freezes while waiting "for a secure connection" from flyertalk, for example, freezing the rest of my computer as well.
And it makes my 16gb of RAM seem like nothing.
If you’re keeping lots of tabs open, 16GB is not really a lot anymore. If your demands are above-average you need to be looking at 32GB or beyond.

If Chrome is hanging up your entire computer, uninstall and reinstall it... or it may be time for a reformat if there are broader issues going on with your PC.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: hahaha
I'll pitch in this:

I'm taken hostage by Chrome because the two organizations I work for (post-secondary and government) have this massive contract with Google for G Suite. So our email, productivity tools (word processing, spreadsheet), and whatever else is all Google, all the time.

Using another browser to access Gmail, Docs, Google Drive means that there's this ugly banner at the top that will read something like:

"USE GOOGLE CHROME TODAY. YOUR EXPERIENCE IS DIMINISHED BY USING EDGE [or Firefox]"

And they're right. The tools we rely on every day are unfortunately optimized for Chrome, without support for other browsers. Attempting to edit a document in (Spartan) Microsoft Edge or the iPad Pro Safari browser will have weird artifacts, end up with bad formatting, and might not support keyboard shortcuts. Gmail and YouTube are just plain slow in the old MS Edge. It's just hard to live a non-Chrome life when you have to deal with G Suite every day.

I'm sure the same can be said for the Office 365 app family and how inter-operability is low, but at least Microsoft tries to make their stuff work across multiple platforms and devices.......
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There is a NEW version of MS EDGE available--much faster than CHROME.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 4:26 pm
Suspended

You've asked a great question. I have no clue why people are so wrapped up in Chrome and other browsers. Safari works just fine on my phone and computer. There is no need to go and download all these web browsers. After all, if you type in 'Flyertalk.com' on any of them, it all takes you to the same place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.