Reload this Page >

why does everybody use Chrome?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why does everybody use Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by msp3
Groupthink, mindlessness, deception (thinking Chrome is a product when in reality the end-user Google spies on is the actual product being sold to advertisers)
If you don't know how a product makes money, then you are the product.
KRSW and msp3 like this.
Old Aug 27, 2020, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I use Firefox. Chrome is a memory hog on Windows and Macs.
I love Firefox and have for years, but I've been seeing issues lately with pictures and tweets not appearing properly. It's been tempting me to jump to Chrome, but I have Firefox sync'ed EVERYWHERE and I hate to have to redo all of it. That and also I'm stubborn.
Old Aug 30, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by moondog
The one area in which Microsoft still receives some love from me is Office. And, somewhat amazingly, Office 365 isn't a whole lot better than Office 95.
Don't you love how, to this day, Outlook includes a folder called RSS Feeds that is impossible to remove?
Old Sep 7, 2020, 2:32 pm

Programs: Many
Brave browser for the win!.
Moderator2 likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
brave, firefox, duckduckgo,
Old Sep 11, 2020, 1:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by dsftm
Brave browser for the win!.
Originally Posted by boerne
brave, firefox, duckduckgo,
Based on this, I just download and installed Brave.

I fired up FlyerTalk, and I couldn't get past the first screen asking for the cookie etc. defaults.

Uninstalled Brave.

Back to Chrome
Old Sep 11, 2020, 10:06 am

Chrome got popular because a while ago it was much faster than Firefox, so it gained momentum among power users as early adopters, and was also heavily promoted by Google (for example if you visited their homepage in another browser you'd be prompted to switch). It hasn't been great for some time already but Firefox also suffered from some poor design decisions and stagnated. Even though Chrome has been progressively getting more and more awful in terms of privacy, some of Mozilla's (the organization behind Firefox) practices in this area were also dubious, so they can't really claim the moral high ground here either.

The choice now is basically between Chromium-based browsers (Chrome, Brave, Vivaldi, Microsoft Edge), and Firefox. Apple devices use a separate engine (by no means better).

Overall, Firefox is still the better choice among the two but not with the default settings. Best way to change these is through a special settings file in the profile folder (a good template is at https://github.com/pyllyukko/user.js but should be manually edited). To most people, this can prove a bit complicated.

Among the Chromium-based browsers, Brave includes ad blocking and alternative monetization features, which have been controversial. Vivaldi removes some of the Google connectivity and adds their own, alongside a couple of other features. There isn't any compelling reason to use MS Edge, which includes Microsoft's garbage on top of Google's: even the regular Chrome is a better choice over this. Another option if you want a Chrome-like browser but disconnected from Google, are some of the community Chromium builds listed here and updated regularly: https://chromium.woolyss.com/ Among these, there's in particular https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium.

Whichever browser you choose, it's worth it to use some privacy-enhacing extensions but that's a wholly different topic. Firefox's strength is that it allows the user more ability with regard to this.

Either way, a browser should never freeze or crash your computer. This can happen for a number of reasons but most likely is due to a malfunctioning extension. If you can't pinpoint the exact issue, starting with a fresh profile should fix it.
gfunkdave and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Based on this, I just download and installed Brave.

I fired up FlyerTalk, and I couldn't get past the first screen asking for the cookie etc. defaults.

Uninstalled Brave.

Back to Chrome
Firefox
KRSW and HDQDD like this.
Old Sep 11, 2020, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The main reasons I continue to use Chrome are:
1. I'm used to it
2. I have 100+ passwords stored there

Firefox is my backup there are some cases when it's beneficial to use two browsers at the same time.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Storing passwords in a browser is not a good security practice. You should look into something like LastPass (which is free) or OnePass. Lastpass works across all browsers and ios apps which is very handy in this "app" World.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HDQDD
Storing passwords in a browser is not a good security practice. You should look into something like LastPass (which is free) or OnePass. Lastpass works across all browsers and ios apps which is very handy in this "app" World.
I don't save any passwords in Chrome that could allow people to steal money from me (I don't care so much about miles any more), but most other stuff is fair game insofar as my personal security threshold is concerned. I like the fact that it's really easy to switch between devices.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
I don't save any passwords in Chrome that could allow people to steal money from me (I don't care so much about miles any more), but most other stuff is fair game insofar as my personal security threshold is concerned. I like the fact that it's really easy to switch between devices.
It's even easier with Lastpass, then it isn't browser dependent. I use it with both FireFox, Safari and Chrome and Windows, macOS and iOS. I would imagine I'm high on the security/privacy paranoia spectrum, so I don't even know what any of my passwords are (with the exception being the master password for lastpass + 2FA). They're all randomly generated and stored in LP. My only regret is that I didn't setup lastpass sooner.
gfunkdave and golfmad like this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been using LastPass since about 2012 and highly recommend it.

THere is an existing password manager thread where we can discuss in more detail, though.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hilton
Chrome was legit faster then FF during FF version 3. Since Firefox 4 came out, it's been really nice. Haven't looked back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.