Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimize data usage in the air

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Minimize data usage in the air

Sorry if this had been asked before but what's the best way to minimize data usage either Android (one plus) or windows 10. Last time I bought a data package it ran out on a matter of minutes without me doing anything. I just want to turn off all background data so it only uses data on the app I'm on. Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:15 am

On Android you could turn off background data in each app. On my Pixel phone, it is under Mobile Data Usage in the Network menu.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Win10 you can click the network icon by the clock, choose the wifi network in question, click Properties, and turn on the Metered Connection slider.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Need
On Android you could turn off background data in each app. On my Pixel phone, it is under Mobile Data Usage in the Network menu.
You can also set wifi networks as metered in Android: connect to the wifi, go into settings for that network, hit 'advanced' then 'network usage' and select 'treat as metered' and it'll treat that network the same as mobile data for update and background data purposes.

Apps that aren't misbehaving should use very little background data on the mobile network or a metered wifi.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Need
For others reading this thread in the future:
On iPhone there is a low-data mode in iOS 13 which I believe does the same thing.
go to wifi, select the (i) button for information... then enable "low data mode" for the plane's wifi.

Another option is to just plain fly United. You won't have data connectivity consistently enough to "waste" data.

Last edited by LordHamster; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:06 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.