Wiki Posts
Search

VOIP/Skype-like alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

VOIP/Skype-like alternatives?

Hi,

I'd appreciate suggestions for a voip/skype-like provider which would allow me to call landlines/mobiles at low rates.
I would either use the android built-in softphone or the provider's dedicated app (as with Skype),
Requirements:
reliable internationally (not just US-focused)
top-up credit does not expire or at least expires after a lengthy period
pay as you go plans, no need for a monthly subscription

Thanks
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mzzxx11
Hi,

I'd appreciate suggestions for a voip/skype-like provider which would allow me to call landlines/mobiles at low rates.
I would either use the android built-in softphone or the provider's dedicated app (as with Skype),
Requirements:

Thanks
You could use Signal messenger. Its free.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Tnx.

From their website is seems that voice calls are available only between Signal users.

I would like to call PSTN ("normal") landlines/mobiles.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
You could use Signal messenger. Its free.
is Signal messanger free to any Landline ?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google Voice does everything you want.

Calls to US/Canadian numbers are free. International rates are very low. You can use the Hangouts app in iOS, and I believe there are even tighter integrations with Android.

You can also pay a one-time $10 fee for a US number for people to call you at.

edit: int'l rates are higher than I remember but still low for wealthier/better connected countries.
Need and LordHamster like this.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Jan 28, 2020 at 3:04 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:51 pm

Hi,

Requirements:

Thanks
Is there a reason you are avoiding skype? (Just trying to figure out what it is about skype you don't like as it may carry to the suggestions)
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

I didn't say I'm avoiding skype - I use it. As I've mentioned, I want a backup option. Just recently I needed to call internationally and out of nowhere I got an error message that my skype account has been blocked. This required a back-and-forth to their support and ~48h until resolved. Hence it seems prudent to have a backup option.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

From the Hangouts site:
"
  • To receive phone calls, text messages, and voicemails in Hangouts, you need to set up Google Voice or a Project Fi account, which are currently only available in the U.S "
Rather restrictive. I'm looking for an option which doesn't require a US account but will work from anywhere.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.

From the Hangouts site:
"
  • To receive phone calls, text messages, and voicemails in Hangouts, you need to set up Google Voice or a Project Fi account, which are currently only available in the U.S "
Rather restrictive. I'm looking for an option which doesn't require a US account but will work from anywhere.
Google Voice does work from anywhere. If you want a phone number they only have US phone numbers available.It's really not that restrictive.

Else, for a more DIY approach you can use voip.ms. Cheap, lets you buy a la carte services, and you can use it with a SIP client you can download to your phone or computer.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

How's the call quality with voip.ms? I've tried a few voip providers before and quality was mostly awful.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never used them but they have been around for a while and are one of the big VOIP providers out there.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:15 pm

One of my former colleagues swear by Viber (makes lots of calls to the Middle East and Europe). I've never used them before (for me, Skype has worked about 99% of the time with the remaining 1% I've used normal LD calls... but the rates were built into the local SIM I'd be using) but it might be worth a shot
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I am using anveo, the call quality is now quite decent. SIP provider too.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Skymiles
Silent Circles Silent World will fit your needs. I've used it worldwide without issues.
https://www.silentcircle.com/product.../silent-phone/
Old Feb 2, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Thanks.

How's the call quality with voip.ms? I've tried a few voip providers before and quality was mostly awful.
I have my permanent US and Canadian numbers ported to Voip.ms as well as a new US and Canada toll-free number.
They get forwarded to whichever handset I am using. There is also quite a bit of control to the forwarding and other things you want to do. With an app installed on the handset, I can get SMS to my Canadian and US permanent numbers which used to be a wireless number.

When I started last year I ask user about the quality and they can't tell that it is ported and forwarded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.